Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding gov lock.. UPDATE w/ PICS, and ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 krawler 50, Apr 1, 2007.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to weld the 14ff gov-lock and wanted to ask a couple questions so i dont mess this up. I was wondering if i could weld most of the gov-lock while it still sat in half the case, like so..

[​IMG]

now, is this a bad idea, or should i try and get the rest of the gears out and weld them outside the case? If i need to take them out, is there some sort of trick to get them out, b/c i could not get them to come out? Next, i was wondering when i put this back together if i would need these clips that hold the clutch packs together?

[​IMG]

Lastly, i just wanted to know if there are any tricks or tips i should know before i start welding, so i dont mess this thing up? I appreciate all the help.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  2. k5 krawler 50

ttt.. how can i get the rest of the gears outta the carrier.. i have never taken one of thes a part before and i'm a little puzzled? thanks.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

4. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

Thanks. I can use that now.

5. k5 krawler 50

cool, i will have to check that out. thanks.

6. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I just took mine apart an hour ago. The last gear stuck in the case half just has to be pulled out. Put your fingers through the splined hole the axle shaft would go in and lift straight out. The clutches will remain inside, but will come out the same way as the side gear.oh, the spiders may have a little vacuum holding them in because of the fluid still on them. Just turn it over and see if they will drop out. Mine came out rather easily.

7. k5 krawler 50

thanks man, i had an idea earlier, and stuck two philips screwdrivers in the holes on the leg of the side gears, and gently popped it up.. and thanks for the description, now its time to go weld..

8. k5 krawler 50

I finally finished welding the gov-bomb up, and i think it turned out ok, i still have some clean up to do on it but here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

however, when i put the carrier back together, there seems to be a little gap between the two pieces. This is probably from the side washers getting distorted from the heat when welding, and i was wondering if this is going to mess up my back lash settings? Here is a pic if you look you can see the gap on the right side of the carrier. Has anyone else ran into this problem when they have welded the 14b carrier? Would it still be cool to run this?

[​IMG]