Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding gurus...look at my welds, pics added...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Sep 30, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

did I spell gurus right?
    anyways, in metal work at school today I was welding, and whenever I welded the wire would weld itself to the tip, it did this about 4 times... what was wrong? In the end the teacher fixed it and changed the tip, but I was frustrated so I didn't weld anymore. What happened? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Also tonight if I can find my spare battery for my camera, I'll have a pic of a weld I want you guys to judge...

Thanks!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: welding gurus...

Probably too much heat, not enough wire speed, or you're bending the feed wire to the gun too sharply and it won't feed as it's supposed to be.

I have had that problem, it's irritating.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay thanks.
    hell yeah its irrating, especially when there is someone behind you waiting to weld thats twice the size of you yelling at you to hurry up. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yea its your wire speed, either turn it up or lower the heat /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

here are some pics of my welds I did, I thought these were pretty good /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry, its a little dark in here...

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

look pretty good steve, too dark for me to tell penetration and all but yeah look decent anyway.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ah! okay Ill snap another picture later where there is more light, if I look through the end of the pipe, I can see that the weld penetrated goood...

8. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I agree with what the other guys have said about the problem you had....And your welds have improved greatly from you first booger welds /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

looks great and looks like you got some good penetraton. (we all know how much the ladies like good penetration /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree with what the other guys have said about the problem you had....And your welds have improved greatly from you first booger welds /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I am using the schools welder, not mine, so thats half of it, and I have been practicing /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Dont blame the schools welder. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not bad.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

no no no, I meant the schools welder is better than my welder at home, so my booger welds (that I made using my welder) were different compared to my alright welds with the school welder...

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

heres a new pic, I tried turning on all the lights in the kitchen, im not a very good photographer, so it still sucks /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[​IMG]

If it does have good penetration like I said, would those welds, mostly the bottom one, hold up for a bumper or something like that?

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Look pretty good. Maybe a touch hotter. How thick material you welding there? Hard to judge by the photo.

15. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If it does have good penetration like I said, would those welds, mostly the bottom one, hold up for a bumper or something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks to me like you are ready to build a bumper /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    heres a new pic, I tried turning on all the lights in the kitchen, im not a very good photographer, so it still sucks /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

That bottom one is lookin pretty hot! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    The top one you lost the motion and it looks like there is a little bit of under cutting. That isn't good because it makes the base metal thinner than it originally was, and creates a stress point because the weld is most likely harder and thicker. I'd go for a bumper, I've seen worse welds on D.O.T Approved equipment (but I'm super picky)
    Drop the MIG, it's a pussy toy. Learn to use a ARC welder or a TIG welder (my favorite) and you'll never go back! /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif
    For a real challenge, pull out the oxy acetylene torch at skool and fire it up!
    Did I ever mention I petitioned my school to pay for my 1/4" plate steel welding certification as part of my education? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    First I thought I'd be a welder, then maybe a diesel mechanic. So I got a job a Radio Shack and latter became a computer components broker (salesman) /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

17. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Not bad at all. Like someone else said, there is a little undercut at the "toes" of the weld, but it doesn't look too significant. Definately good enough for bumper welds. Now go clean of that weld spatter!!!!

John

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

That bottom one is lookin pretty hot! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    The top one you lost the motion and it looks like there is a little bit of under cutting. That isn't good because it makes the base metal thinner than it originally was, and creates a stress point because the weld is most likely harder and thicker. I'd go for a bumper, I've seen worse welds on D.O.T Approved equipment (but I'm super picky)
    Drop the MIG, it's a pussy toy. Learn to use a ARC welder or a TIG welder (my favorite) and you'll never go back! /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif
    For a real challenge, pull out the oxy acetylene torch at skool and fire it up!
    Did I ever mention I petitioned my school to pay for my 1/4" plate steel welding certification as part of my education? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    First I thought I'd be a welder, then maybe a diesel mechanic. So I got a job a Radio Shack and latter became a computer components broker (salesman) /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I really want to learn TIG, but my school only has Stick, MIG, and oxy-acetylene... If I had enough money, I'd buy one to learn on... but I dont have the money either /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Hopefully I will be able to use the oxy-acetylene soon, but I dont think the teachers lets us for a while... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    How do I stop undercutting? The top weld is one of the welds where the wire welded its self to the tip by the way. I am hoping I can get a oxy-acetylene welder for home use soon, at only 200 bucks, it will get me some knownledge for when I start TIG, and it will be good for heating up parts instead of a dinky little propane torch /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Look pretty good. Maybe a touch hotter. How thick material you welding there? Hard to judge by the photo.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Okay I will turn it up a bit when I weld next. I believe the metal is 1 1/4 sch. 40 pipe, 3/16 or 1/4" metal plate, and im not sure about the thickest piece.

19. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah gas weld! I have been told if you can gas weld (good of course) then you can weld anything.

I was gas welding today and was doing pretty good. You can get a gas plant pretty cheap and its not a PITA like stick either! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I really want to learn TIG, but my school only has Stick, MIG, and oxy-acetylene... If I had enough money, I'd buy one to learn on... but I dont have the money either /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Your a head of the game, you have *A* welder. I haven't read any of your other posts, but I would wager you don't have a MIG welder at home, but rather a sheilded arc welder, not a sheilded arc gas welder. IE: the shielding is in the wire, not pumped in via gas.
    [ QUOTE ]

Hopefully I will be able to use the oxy-acetylene soon, but I dont think the teachers lets us for a while... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just a side rant, but teachers are dumb asses now. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The ONE thing I'm cocky about when it comes to metal is my welding ability, and I learnt to braze before anything else, and then I learnt to weld with an oxy-acet setup. This is THE way to learn. Both of these FORCE you to know WTF your doing - anyone can make a pretty weld with a MIG welder - and even a good mig weld isn't a good weld in my opinnion.
    [ QUOTE ]

How do I stop undercutting? The top weld is one of the welds where the wire welded its self to the tip by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can be caused by a few things, stopping a weld being one. Then if you don't clean up the end and start just a little bit back on the puddle, it wont fill in the crater where you started. It can also because by improper electrode angle, you may need to shoot it a bit more at the larger chunk. Wire speed would also do that. As to de-wire your tip, I just drag it on the metal. Most of the time that fixed it for me - just don't let your shop teacher see you do it! I'd also make sure the TIP is clean and that the copper shield is clean. No splatter on them, it can cause weird problems.
    [ QUOTE ]

I am hoping I can get a oxy-acetylene welder for home use soon, at only 200 bucks, it will get me some knownledge for when I start TIG, and it will be good for heating up parts instead of a dinky little propane torch /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have an oxy-propane setup here, it heats up real well. Then I have the air-propane (hand held with the coleman bottle] setup for lesser crap....
    [ QUOTE ]