Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding Gurus, what wire?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 15, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well I'm trying to figure out what wire to get for my MIG. I am running .025 in it right now, and its simply too thin(I knew that to beginw with but it was all I had this past weekend). It just burns up WAY too quick at full temp with the wire speed at max. Now I am welding 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" mild steel. I'm thinking I should be running .035 wire.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=2519

That is my welder. It says to weld 1/4 or 3/8 I should run flux cored, but I think it penetrates nicely and does a good enough job with just gas shielding. Think I should try welding with flux cored? I am used to my Dad's 110V 125 unit so my 175 is great in comparison.

2. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I have the same Lincoln. I run straight CO2 with .030. It seems to do perfectly fine on 1/4 plate, with room to go. I'll use my arc welder if I want to mess with slag.

3. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I have the Miller welder that is basically the same as your Lincoln, I use .030 mainly. I tried .035 and had all kinds of problems and didn't get as nice welds. Not sure how your settings are but for that thick of metal I run around 70-75 wire speed and crank up the heat!

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I dont have a 175 but on my 135 I use .35 flux and I like it alot.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I was thinking along the lines of .30. I ran .35 in my dad's 135 before and it worked out alright, but I LOVE my 175. Took a slight bit of getting used to, but lays down stuff I'm happy with at this point(yes I have much room for improvement).

Problem now is just that with all the heat even at max wire speed(10 on my machine) the .25 burns back to the tip and sticks.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'd load it up with .035.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd stick with .030 for microwire, and .035 if you use the flux core. You should try a roll of the flux core...I think you'll be impressed with how much more it penetrates.

Rene

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No doubt!

I was definitely surprised. I did most of my welding with solid core .023, and it was just too small, so I bought myself some .035 thinking it would weld similar to the flux core .035, and while it is far better than the .023, it still doesn't get the same penetration as the flux core does! However, I hate slag, so I go straight to my solid core wire when I can! I still prefer the arc welder over the mig when possible, I can get a far nicer weld out of it. The mig just seems to like building, and not penetrating.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

All i use for general welding in my squirt gun is .035 flux core. I like it a lot. works great for anything I usually weld. But that is just my opinion. I just dont want to be bothered with gas. I like to keep things simple.
    If i need to weld thick stuff I use my buzz Box. Dont really care about super clean welds. If i did i would use a TIG.

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I think I'd agree with Rene and Kurt. .030 or .035 solid wire and 75/25 gas. Leaning towards the .030.

11. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I use .035 flux core for allmost everything I weld, If I'm gona do 3/8" or better I step it up to .045, If it's sheet metal then I use the little stuff. But the .035 Flux is SOOOOOOOO vesital that U can weld allmost anything with it :laugh:
    I have done 1/2" plate in a single pass with it before with a 110V machine, but it's not that eazy.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  12. Zeus33rd

Flux core blows ass. It's messy, ugly (in most cases) and hard to clean up. For what the wheeler type guy does, I can't see any reason to use it. I've ran it alot during my welding life...but only on big ass 3/4"+ thick structural type stuff. .045 wire. It digs like a backhoe, smokes like a train, is hotter than the fires of hell, and messier than a pigpen. It has its place, but 4x4 type fab is not it as far as I'm concerned.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The single shield 'gasless' wire actually runs pretty smooth and with no real effort it can look just as nice as microwire.

As for industrial dual shield wires, there are so many varieties and some are definitely nicer to use than others. Some are also a lot 'smokier' than others...
    We use Lincoln 71M at work and it smooth as glass when done.

I run both on my little Millermatic depending on what I'm doing. Microwire with 75/25 for thin stuff, and the gasless wire for the thicker stuff. It only takes 2 minutes to switch from one to the other.

Rene

14. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

IMO people who knock the flux core wire just never toolk the time to learn how to weld with it. If it "digs like a backhoe" then U don't have the machine/wire combo set up right. If the welds don't look good with it take a look @ the guy behind the gun, not the wire.
    Not trying to start a flame ware here, just don't want to see any one new to welding steered the wrong way for the wrong reasons. ;) For a little 110V machine it's the best thing to use for 1/4" or better, it penitrates much better than solid core, (= stronger weld) and U don't have to worrie about wind if U are welding out side. Plus I find it works better for vert. and over head than solid core (need to weld somthing on the undersid of your'e truck, and don't want to take it off?)

15. Zeus33rd

Dude, I've been welding for the past 10 years for a living. I went to school to learn it. I've been certified with both gasless and dual shield flux cored wires, with regular solid wire, with 7018 rod. I can weld anything, in any position, with any welding process and make it look like a robot did it. So, it's not a matter of learning to run it. I've prolly ran more flux core than most anyone here with the exception on Rene. When I said digs like a backhoe, that wasn't menat to be a knock agaisnt it, you said it yourself- it penetrates much better than solid wire. If your gonna argue, make sure you know enough about what your arguing about to not sound like an ass.

16. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

saw that coming from 100ft. away :D
    Kidjethro weld = :pimp: :pimp1:

17. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

.035 "gasless" flux core for the home hobbiest is a good all around wire. You can single pass pretty close to 1/4" thick material, and multi pass up to 1/2" thick material with confidence. If you are set on a solid wire, .030 w/ 75/25 gas will do the trick. .035 solid wire and larger should really be left in the professional shop enviroment, unless you a wired for a 440/480 machine at home and have the machine.

John

18. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

This post just shows how familiar a person will get with thier technique for welding and what equipment they prefer. As Jethro said he's been welding for 10 years + and would do this. I said .035 solid because that is what I prefer and I've been welding for 22 years the last 16 of that professionally, certified and yada yada.

Best thing you can do is get some wire and start burning it. Get a different wire next time and see if you like it better. Get to know your welding supply guy and he will make some suggestions as to a starting point. Or of course you can always post here and folks will give you some suggestions but in the end you gotta play with it. (Yep, play with it :haha: )