Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding heads

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by MUDNUTT, Aug 26, 2002.

1. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

anyone have anything good or bad to say about welding heads? machine shop where i'm getting mine rebuilt called today to say mine were cracked bad /forums/images/icons/mad.gif. i talked to a friend of mine at a welding shop here in town and he said that its kind of a 50-50 thing in terms of getting good results. anyway let me know if you've done it and what kind of results you've gotten.

deck

2. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

anybody?

deck

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Are cores that expensive?? I would not weld one but that's just my opinion. I live 50 miles from work.

4. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

i also would really rather not weld them but last time i checked with napa a rebuilt head from them was like 300 or 350. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

deck

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Where exactly are they cracked? The common crack spot is between the valves on the end cylinders. Rarely does it actually reach to the water jacket. There is a repair a repair kit available that includes a reamer and a valve guide like sleeve. The reamer goes through the coolant passage (intake surface) and is sealed with the pressed in sleeve. Maybee RVTec can chime in and provide some more info.

Welding heads is kinda "iffy". If done correctly (pre-heat & prep) by a GOOD welder it should do the job, anything less and it will fail. I've seen both /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yeah, where are they cracked at? K-Line makes the kit Dan was talking about.

A lot of shops condemn 6.2L heads because they're cracked. Heck, I'd bet 90% of 'em are cracked, but not that many are fatal cracks.

Casey

7. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

i knew about the sleeving procedure from the diesel page. i went to the shop i did because they actually knew what i was talking about when i asked them about sleeving. not sure where the cracks are. the shop is about 100 miles away from me /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . i'm going to go look at them today.

deck

8. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status