Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, Aug 2, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I need to weld up the seems on my truck, where it has been narrowed (uglychevy's old truck) All I have access to is an old stick welder...Im wondering will this do the trick? or is it too much? I have VERY little welding experience and therefore any and all help would be AWESOME /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif also what kind of rods should I buy to use?? I really need to get this thing welded, its only tacked up right now, and Im affraid the beds gonna come loose when im driving /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    thanks for any help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If its the bedsides or body panels, a stick welder is going to be way to much for it(you'll make lots of blow holes for ventilation tho) /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Use screws before a stick welder on body metal. It will make the same amount of holes, just a lot smaller holes.

4. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

crap...so Im pretty much screwed unless I can find a wire feed huh??

5. bowtiebstrd

bowtiebstrd Registered Member

see if you can rent one ... a lot of local shops often rent mig setups, i think even home depot rents 'em, but i don't know for sure.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You may be able to "spot" weld the panels with an arc welder--I did my floors with mine,I couldnt run a bead though,just a spot about he size of a pencil eraser.It is real easy to burn through,so turn the welder down as far as it will go until you cant get an arc started(practice on some scrap similar to the stuff you want to weld)and turn it up just enough to get an arc going and hold it over the seam for about 2 seconds,and you will have spot welded it.The trick is to make sure there is no gap between the two peices,you cant fill it in like you can with a mig,the seam must be tight,use metal screws or rivets or clamps to hold it tightly together.Be aware it won be pretty,even if you get good at it--keep your grinder handy to grind down the boogers.I used this method on my floors,filled in the screwholes with brazing rod.Its not going anywhere,but I'm glad its hidden under the mat!.I used 1/8 inch 6011 welding rod at about 40 amps setting on the welder.If you can get at the backside of the welded area you can use a peice of brass or copper as a back up to help prevent blowing holes(weld wont stick to brass or copper)I know its kinda crude--but its effective!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif