Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding - I Just found a friend who...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87GMCJimmy, Mar 22, 2002.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

has a hobart 220v mig welder sitting in his garage with a full size tank that his old next door neighbor GAVE is to him. Free, nada, zilch. My friend said I can come over and use anytime or if I had 220 in the garage I could semi permenently take it home!!!! Someday's just don't get any better. I've read many on post's (mostly Greg's) about welding techniques and which one to buy but I have no idea of the basic's of setting up a machine and getting it ready to weld. It doesn't look too complicated, I just want to be careful and not break it or me.

I need to know the basic setup settings and stuff for a mig. If you have any good links let me know.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

We should all be so lucky. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Go to a book store and get a Welding book that covers MIG, it will probably cover all types of arc welding, but it will at least have the basic settings you need to get started. The thing about it is there are a lot of variables involved in the "right" setting. Set it up according to the book and tweek it around until you are welding like a pro.
    It's all about the old saying...PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!
    Good luck

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Get a couple of books to understand the basics....

Then it's a matter of getting some wire....a helmet.....some leather gloves....COTTON clothing (not synthetic unless you like being on fire!)...and some scraps to practice on.

The settings for various thicknesses of metal are usually on the inside lid of the machine. It will matter if you are using the sheilding gas, or a flux-core wire (no gas)....as far as the settings go.

If you have anyone that can show you a few safety basics you can be welding in a matter of minutes.

It's pretty fun and addictive.....go for it!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif