Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding in a patch panel...tricks.

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by adamforsythe, Mar 1, 2006.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Instead of replacing both of my bed sides I want to just cut out the rust above the wheel wells and weld in a patch panel.
    What are the tricks in doing this????
    Thanks
    aDam

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

cut to fit patch with 1/2" extra all around on the vehicle. grind area. step that 1/2" with a flange tool. (you can just overlap the patch an 1" over the existing panel or so, but its kinda cheesy, applicable sometimes). grind patch edge.. spray all weld areas with weld-thru primer...

you can either drill/punch holes in the patch edge and do a poorman's spotweld or stitch it... i'll normally do a few spotwelds then dainty stitch mig it all the way around... you can leave some gaps in your stitching, but those areas will always be succeptable to cracking down the road...

hold it in place with bodyman's visegrips (i have all styles, about 3 times over :D ), temp with some rivets (drill out and mig up later) or with some temp selftapping screws (undo and mig up) over size the patch screwholes so the panel draws in to the vehicle...

grind welds smooth.. patch seams are best having a little fiberglass bondo over em, rough out with grinder.. skim with mud... always remember, its much easier to remove more than it is to put back. and don't forget a hammer and dolly are your friend. :wink1:

3. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Patch Panels

Great advice, take heed.... Clecos are nice too, if you have a couple extra bucks.
    Rusty Parts just gave some good advice about keeping weld area cool with a wet rag, stops warpage in sheet metal
    There is alot to it, with a bunch of little tricks...
    Later J.

4. ryoken

yup, the wet rag trick is what i've reverted to these days... years ago there was a product out that looked like gray modeling clay, came in a can... you would put a wall of it around the area and it would absorb all the heat..

probably loaded with asbestos, thus why i haven't seen it in years... killer stuff...

5. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

asbestos

I bought a can of that from Eastwood Products, 15 years ago, never did open it up. From what you say I'm glad I didn't:haha:
    Any other tips, I have my drivers side all fitted in and bolted down with 6/32 so my hole isn't to big to back fill.
    Thanks for telling me about making the one hole biger , never would have thought of that!!!
    From your pics it looks like you have your hands full.:bow:
    I just ordered my kick panel and front cab mount, so I'll have wait to get them on, hang my door. See if it stayed where I put,should have, put a come along to the roof rafters to support the cab till I get all the sheet metal pieced back in.
    Any advice would be appreciated Later J.
    Would I be able to get that weld thru primer at any paint supply house,never used that before

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  6. ryoken

feel free to pm if me ya think i can help at all when the time comes... :D just make sure you tack stuff up and check fit before final welding i'd say....

and yeah, any body supply place should have weldthru primer in rattle cans.... great stuff, i use it all the time.....

tell ya what, that clay stuff worked awesome.... you could put a dam around holes in the middle of a roof or hood, weld em up and have zero warpage.. :eek1: :haha:

i'm just finishing up that Olds now... should be done shaping out some new inner wheelwell pieces tommorrow... just wish i had all the good sheetmetal tools to make it easier, a break, shear, planishing hammer, etc... but i'm used to doing it the backyard way when need be... :wink1:

7. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Patches

Thanks for the advice. Someday I am going to own an English Wheel and a tool to make Louvers, that should just about round out my tools, oh yeah a plasma cutter but really my torch works OK.
    I'll sell you my jar for $100.00, since your in the brotherhood I'll give it to you for $50.00:haha: :haha: :haha:
    Later J.
    Just got a job in a sheet metal shop last week, Maintenance Manager, I feel like a kid in a candy store anyway lots of those kinds of tools if I can help

8. gauder

gauder Banned

9. ryoken

cool, definitely have to pick up a tub at some point... it was always a real helpful thing back in the day...

10. NYDIESELDAVE

NYDIESELDAVE 1/2 ton status

You may want to consider using some body panel adhesive instead (i.e. FUSOR or 3M Panel Bonding Adh) No heat worries there and it is super easy. Less corrosion issues than welding also.