Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding in new body panels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rustbucket, May 20, 2003.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

I have a 91 blazer with the normal floorboard rust. I have a little century 110 wire feed welder with no gas. I just use flux core wire. I can weld fairly decent with it on thicker stuff, but when it comes to the floor, it just burns through. Right now , I'm just practicing by patching up the holes, but soon I want to buy some replacement floor pans for it and do it right. I have new rockers ready to put in, but don't want to burn them up. Please don't tell me it's because I have a cheap welder, I know, it was free. Any hints or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Try one little spot weld, let it cool a little, spot again, let it cool, spot again, cool, spot, cool, spot, cool on and on.

Turn the heat down a little. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

You really need a true mig for thin patch panels. Gasless flux core only comes in .30 and higher. That is a bit too much heat. I have a cheap craftsman welder that can use gas or flux core. The only time I use the gas is when welding patch panels as I can use the thinner wire, .25 or .23 I can't remember which it is off hand.

Just try to run the lightest heat you can and do the small spot welds.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Stich welds work really good, go from the thick metal, to the thin metal. Thats how I did mine and no problems with blowing holes.