Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding in patch panels....

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dr1553, May 28, 2003.

1. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Everyone,

I just got a 110 Mig and have been learning to weld. I'm starting on the tailgate and have rust holes spread out across under the Chevy stamp. I have been cutting small pieces out of the tailgate and cutting pieces of 18ga. to fit back into place. This is probably auto body 101 stuff but I took wood shop...not smart. I was wondering when welding in small patch panels should I just tack weld them or weld them out completely? If tacked in couldnt I just use a small layer of bondo to hide the crack between the tacks? I'm scared that if I try to weld them completely that I'm going to have a very warped tailgate.

So what do the pros do? Any help would be appreciated. BTW I know it would probably be easier to buy a reproduction tailgate, but I want to learn this stuff because I am going to tackle the rusty rocker boxes, a-pillars, floor, rockers, ect. ect....next! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks,
    David

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would want to weld them completely. I would guess if you just do a slow job and don't get everthing hot at once you should beable to keep it straight. Just grind the weld smooth and some paint...good as new.
    Good Luck

3. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

Definitely weld the whole seem. Bondo absorbs moisture and if you leave the seam open in spots, moisture will creap in through the back side and you'll have to replace it again before too long. Weld small sections at a time, say 1/2", and then move to the other side of the panel. Also keep a spray bottle or damp sponge handy to help the panel cool inbetween welds. This should keep warping to a minimum. Grind you're weld, skim coat with some bondo, paint and away you go! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

When i did mine I ran the heat low and put a bunch of stich welds. I welded the whole thing and didnt have any problems. Just be careful not to blow holes!