Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding labot costs ?? # 2

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Aug 1, 2001.

They tell me 2-3 hours to cut and reweld the spring perches to re-anlge the rear end for a CV driveshaft setup. Is this about right?

Thanks again.

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

yeah, about right

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

2. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yeah and thats fast, took me all day, if I cared to lug around a 14ff i would have taken it somewhere, but thats almost as much work as doing it yoself. Besides you miss out on a lot of fun.

3. tyler t.

tyler t. 1/2 ton status

Are they going to stick weld it or MIG weld it? If you have the choice I would have them stick weld it just for that extra piece of mind strength wise. What are they charging you?

J:(P it's what's for dinner!

4. 50 an hour and said it would be 3 hours.

(ftn96)

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I thought MIG and TIG were stronger (well, better quality and penetration) welds than stick?? Or am I just dreaming?

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

6. Well, Like I said before, Im no weld, Yet. But from what I've read it doesn't really matter which type welding you pick. The strength comes from the quality and technique of the person welding. Granted the various types of welding are there for a purpose as each has its area of dominance. Like TIG welding is for small and intricate detailing and such so you could but wouldn't recommend using a TIG welder to weld up large 1/8 beads. But again all this is what I understand. Rene is the profesional. Lets see if he drops us some info here!

(ftn96)

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm not trying to argue here, but I know (at least I THINK I know...) NHRA requires Top Fuel Dragster and Funny Car frames/cages to be TIG-welded. If I recall correctly, TIG gives the best penetration, and weld penetration=weld strength. Am I off my rocker? I'm just curious here; I've been led to believe by everything I've read that MIG and TIG were better (stronger) methods than plain stick.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

8. Im not knowledgable enough to argue on this topic anyway, but since your an ex-marine and Im ex-navy we can start one up if you like. [​IMG] j/k **damn jarheads** LOL!!! j/k

On the serious note. I dont know shinola bought welding other than what I've been told. I've just heard that Tig is used for intricate detailed welding and the sticks were used for the big stuff. Im hoping soembodys ass will get outta bed here in the next little while and let us know.
    Wake up people, I've already done more this mornign than you'll do all day. [​IMG]

(ftn96)

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

yawn--
    I'm not a welder (and I can proove it, but i'm getting better)
    but, since thats never stopped me before;

-TIG welding is by far the best, most precise and controllable style of welding there is, You could weld a razor blade to a piece of 1/4 stock. (can't do that witth a MIG). The person welding can adj the temp as they weld (can't do that with a MIG) The few TIG welding machines I've seen, had enuff switches and dials on it to fly a plane, and do the dishes.

- MIG welding is allot faster than TIG welding, Easier to use, and can be dialed in to produce a pretty good bead, but not the same quality of a TIG. Basicly, MIG welding is pretty good for the average guy. TIG welding is for the pros

Twiztid

10. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

That's decent money, I need to learn to use mine better also!

In terms of welding process, there are high amperage MIG machines that will weld as deep as some stick boxes, but typically the stick boxes are used on large stock because of the amount of filler material required. I can weld heavier steel with my MIG, but I end up having to grind the joints down at an angle and make about a zillion passes to get enough filler back in the resulting trough.

John

John

11. Boss

I say, if you're welding Aluminum all the time, get a TIG. If you're welding steel, get a MIG. Cheaper and easier.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

As a welder in training, I can say that most of it isn't what you use, it's the guy holding the lead! If he knows nothing about penetration and is just bridging the gaps with filler, then sure a mig wont beat a stick in strength. If he's stick welding overhead with a rod that wont do overhead, then he's asking for failure. And yes a 110V Mig welder shouldnt be used in applications where failure jepordizes safety in most situations on over 1/8" metal, it just doesn't pump enough juice in the hole. Now several passes can strenthen it up some but if you go too wide with your multiple passes, you can weaken it. I'm getting off track...

Upshot is that 220V mig or stick will work fine for your application, just make sure the guy doing the welder is qualified. If you're worried, have him weld a fillet weld in the same position as the perches, and then cut it in half. If the weld doesn't penetrate the very intersection all the way through, find yourself another welder. As for the time, that's about right. If all the guy does is spring perches, then maybe he could do it in less. If he's set up to have a vehicle in there, then that's what I'd charge in his situation. He has to loosen u bolts, get the proper angle, cut the old ones off, grind the axle back smooth, chamfer the pads, weld them back on, tighten u bolts, clean up his mess, ect. Think about it...

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

13. What the hell is a fillet weld?

(ftn96)

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

MIG TIG and stick all have their places. MIG is prolly the easiest to use and is definitely the fastest proces of the three. TIG is infinitely adjustable while welding and is the highest quality. MIG and Stick can both be set to dig harder than TIG though so penetration isn't really the issue. Both MIG and Stick when done right will yeild a pure strong weldment, the reason TIG is specified for certain applications is the chance of any impurities is greatly diminished. MIG and STICK can both hide impurities in the weld that you'd only find during destructive testing or X-ray.

A fillet weld is a type of weld, its what the weld into a corner or T-joint would be called. The perch weld would be a fillet weld. There are a few other types such as a butt weld where two plates meet. This type is a prepared joint where at least one edge of one plate is bevelled for better weld penetration.

$50 an hour is fair, and 3 hours sounds like good time. Especially if the guy is 'mobile'. Ever priced out truck mounted welders?[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

15. Boss

The WeldMaster Speaks [​IMG]!!
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

16. NAh, not mobile. I'd have to take it to the 4 wheel shop in suburb of NAshville.

(ftn96)

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well a shop is actually more expensive usually. Rent, lights and heat all increase overhead...[​IMG]

We charge out at $85 an hour...and thats about middle of the road for here, our machine shop charges out at over $100.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

18. How about I just ship my frame to you, you stitch it up and send it back? [​IMG]

(ftn96)

19. oops forgot what post I was on, I mean my rear end[​IMG]

(ftn96)