Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding LMC panels in ????'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Art'74, May 12, 2005.

1. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

I tried this in the body shop but it must be the wrong place - no answers. Soooo, I'll try it in the old garage.

OK. The brotherhood here has advised that LMC rockers, etc. are 18 ga. I would like to know what size mig wire you would recommend be used for welding in these panels.

I have a Lincoln SP135T and am currently running .035 but have .025 readily available if that would be better. I am also running the heat on the lowest setting and corresponding the wire speed to match.

By the way, I have been using flux core wire but would also appreciate a heads up on how much better my welds would be if I had gas and regular wire.

TIA. Art

2. K10bolts

K10bolts Registered Member

I just finished welding in my 18 ga. rockers yesterday. I ran .035 Flux core with no burn through. I had my Lincoln 100 on voltage setting No.2, and the welds were decent. Running with gas is alot better for thinner material, but the flux core gets the job done. Shielding gas makes the weld cleaner, and also helps prevent burn through. When I cut out the old rocker, I left 1/2" of extra material all the way around, then flanged it so the new rocker fits flush with the body, and it also gives you something more to weld to. Good luck!

3. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for being dense but please provide further detail on "I flanged it". I'll assume you left a 1/2" lip and turned it into the vehicle but I hate ass-u-me anything. If this is correct, please tell me how you "flanged" a consistent lip across the rocker.

You may tell body work is not my thing but you gotta' go for it or you'll never learn (or burn).

Art

4. K10bolts

K10bolts Registered Member

Yes, you are correct. you bend the sheet metal into the truck,then back towards you. You are recessing the surface so the rocker lies flush. I used a combination of vise grips and light hammering. Then, put on the new rocker and hammer the seam until it is slightly below the surface. I found the vise grips to be handy in holding the panel in place. Are you using the full replacement panels and not the patches?

http://www.tabcobodyparts.com/html/10_easy_steps.html[/COLOR]

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

6. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

I'll use the full replacement on the rocker and a panel on the rear lower part of the front fender. My floor boards are not real bad just a hole or two so I am going to cutaway the bad and just use some flat metal for that fix.

By the way - thanks for all of the info. everyone. Art

7. Gixx

Gixx Registered Member

Use GAS,
    No slag and makes great welds. Remember to skip weld to avoid warpage.
    Take your time.