Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding mask question (shade darkness)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nofeartruckin00, Feb 18, 2003.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I'm using a new auto-darkening welding mask/helmet deal, and it just doesn't seem dark enough. The lens is spec'd as:

Light state: Shade 4
    Shade: Fixed at Shade 10.5
    Ultraviolet/Infared: Protection to Shade 12 at all times

Northern Tool specs for the helmet

I'm doing MIG welding, using flux core wire without gas. When i flip the mask up, i see spots for a while, which never happened with the old non-auto darkening helmet i had. Does anyone have a suggestion of what shade to run for MIG? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i believe mig is anywhere between 10 and 12 depending on power and diameter of the wire.

3. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

this is gonna sound dumb but a guy that worked for me pulled this one. did you turn it on? Not all of them are instant on, some have a little button inside and our old one you pushed the top of the lens on the outside. Batteries good? THe pinhead that worked for me welded half a day with it being turned off

4. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

I do fine with #10 when migging up to 130Amps.. Stick welding I need a 11-12 and with big flux core/gas combo units a #15 was just enough (400 AMP welding 1.5-2" plate).

10 Should be ok. Maybe you have a defective unit? If not then you might try wearing some safety glasses rated at 1-3 under your hood to help reduce the spotting.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm with Boots.....maybe it's not REALLY on and you're welding with a shade 4 instead of a 10 - 12 shade...?

On mine, I can adjust the sensitivity of it, and then to make sure it's REALLY on, I hold it up towards the florescent lights in my shop and the lens sort of "pulses"...

A lot of helmets have an "auto off" function...so I am now in the habit of ALWAYS pushing that "ON" button just to be sure I don't blind myself when I first strike an arc.

6. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the suggestions. No on button, there is a sensor built into the helmet, that automatically flicks over to dark mode. I can hold it up to a 100 watt light bulb, and i can watch it change shades. The helmet was charged up, it sat under the lights for atleast 4 hours before i welded. There isn't even a battery i could replace in the unit to make sure, it must be some self-recharing unit that is actually built in to the top portion. My old helmet was a shade 12 i believe, so i held my face pretty close to the work piece too see the puddle. Maybe i've just got my face too close for this new helmet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI guess i'll have to find some tinted glasses to wear under it. Thanks again!

7. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I've used auto-darkening lenses before, and some of em wouldn't darken running a squirt gun. I've also used ones that would darken while I was using a 4" angle grinder. It sure is nice to have an adjustable one, but they get expensive fast.