Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding on a Bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rockink5, Jul 5, 2006.

1. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

To make a long story short, What is the opinion on welding a bolt head in place so it can not be removed with out some work. I wasn't going to weld continuous around it, just spot it on the wrench surfaces. Will the heat have any real effect on the bolt strength? Warn only supplied 5/16 bolts to begin with so I'm a little concerned about weakening cause' there not a whole lot of room for a larger bolt. Some one tried to steal my winch:angry1: , now I'll make it really difficult to remove, although it wasn't easy before, thats why it's still there.

2. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I did that with my winch. Even if you only did it to 2 of them its going to make it way harder for them to steal it.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I tack welded a 1.5x1.5 piece of angle over the rear bolts.

4. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I really don't see a quick spot weld affecting the bolt strength too much. I would just make sure it is a quick weld and letting it cool completely between welds if doing more than one.

5. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just a tack weld should be fine on outer edge of bolt head. Just did mine yesterday for same reason.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nothing wrong with it in my opinion. don't sit there and just melt it but yeah I've done it before and will again. welding a nut in place is more difficult but still easy(have to run a tap through it afterwards is all). Just make sure the bolt is tight before you weld it. don't want it to be able to be puting clamping force on the welds, just using them to keep it from spinning.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

That's what I am planning to do with mine. Only thing is, I also plan to spot weld some of the bumper bolts on too.