Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding on early 2d gen Blazers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ressurection, Aug 19, 2000.

1. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Is it worth welding patch panels on the swiss cheese era of Blazers? The steel above the upper trim molding is in decent condition, would I be wasting my time to cut the panels off at that line and weld new below? I realize there's probably a can of worms that would open up with patching and welding around and to the floorpan, structure, etc. I guess that's the stuff I wonder about.
    Thanks guys!

You can't beat going Topless!

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Depending on your location, fairly rust free bodies are still out there. For instance, there is a complete '72 here in north Texas for $1300. If ya don't have access to any of those, welding panels is a great way to get a nice truck. Also, I was thinking a '72 was called a 1st generation. They changed for the fist time in '73. Good luck!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Your 2nd gen.(73-75) is becoming more rare with each passing day. They are also going up in value with the collectors. By all means replace any cancer panels that you can. Swap out any bolt on panels that you can, like the hood and fenders. I am swaping in a `83 front end to my `75 and replacing the doors with `83`s also. That alone is fixing more than half the cancer on the rig. Like I said these roadsters are rare. If you keep it running someone, someday will die to have that rig of yours.

4. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I just replaced the cancer in my rear quarters with patch pannels from jc whitney they work great. i bought the full wheel opening and the front and rear quarter patch pannel. I left as much of the good metal as i could. I also bought a metal flanging tool, one side flanges and the other side punches holes. the hole punch makes quick work of placing all the holes you need to spot weld the pannel to your rig. I did not flange the pannels on my 75 because im not all that concerned with how great the body work turns out, im rino-lining the whole outside next week and let me tell you tht stuff hides alot of flaws!! I also bought the drop in floor pans from jc whitney dont be fooled the word drop in does not apply! it took some cuttin and hammer work but i got them to fit pretty good. Again i used the hole punch side and spot welded the pans down i also used some self taping screws to hold it in place while i welded it. The jc floor pans covered from the fire wall to right in front of the seat bolt holes. i found it hard to find pans of that size for little $ i think lmc also has them. I do have a pass. side rear quarter in front of wheel arch pannel for sale and a drivers side rear quarter behind the wheel arch for sale both came from jc whitneys both new in box will ship anywhere u pay shipping. let me know
    good luck,
    Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan Il

5. Ressurection

Micheal, sorry about the miscommunication! Actually, the one that has the cancer issue is my Dad's '73 (surprise, surprise!) My '72 is not as bad. Thanks for the reply, tho!

6. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Welding on 2nd gen Blazers is no big deal. Use a MIG welding with Argon/CO2 gas. If your not used to welding, takes a little patience and practice. Bigmeats is right, replacement floor pans from JC Whitney are not "drop-in" or "bolt-on". They actually are for the pickup, not the Blazer. Classic Chevrolet in OKC or Cheyene Pickup Parts in Noble are supposed to have actual Blazer drop-in panels. Found this out too late and haven't confirmed this. I've replaced both rear wheel arches, wheel wells and other assorted places all ordered from JC. Didn't flange but did roll the edges before buttwelding them. like I said takes a lot of patience and time. Beeen rebuilding my 79 since Christmas of last year. Almost there.

7. Ressurection

Thanks for the replies fellow K5ers. I appreciate the advice, but one question I still have is cutting off the old panels, welding on new, will I still have rust develop on the old steel? Granted it will be painted, undercoated, etc. But on that gen. of Blazers I've seen cancer develop where it shouldn't. Any input? Is it worth the time? Thanks!

8. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

After you've welded in the repair panel, clean up the area and as much as you can get to with a good stiff wire brush. The Eastwood Company has a product called Corroless that comes in quart cans for brushing/rolling and in 16 oz aerosol that will stop and control rust. The stuff works. For the hard to reach areas, I found a little trick that works with the aerosol cans. I used 3M rubberized undercoating on top of the Corroless as a final coat on the undercarriage. The trick is the 3M undercoating comes with two spray nozzles and a plastic tube that fits into the spray nozzle that is in the cap. The nozzle that is in the cap fits on the Corroless can and when used along with the plastic tube, you can get a stream of paint that will blast into those hard to reach spots, door jams, rocker panels, etc. You can control the amount and the velocity by the pressure you exert on the nozzle (at about half compression it will hit the sheetrock wall in your shop from about 8 feet at the height it is being held). This will cause the can to empty faster than normal spraying and in some areas, depending on how long you hold it, it wil start to run out of the seams and drip on the floor. I've used 4 aerosol cans and will use two quart cans on my 79 that is about done. I had a 68 Bronco that I bought in 74 (real cheap). I grew up on the coast of Florida and rust is a real problem there. Tried Rustoleum and tons of other products and they only lasted a little while and slowly the rust would re-appear. Didn't use Corroless until later and that was the only thing that finally stopped the rust.
    (P.S. Sold the Bronco, have four Chevy's now)

9. Ressurection

Thanks Wheels, I appreciate your input! Congratulations on going all Chev, (don't tell anyone I said this, but those gen 1 Bronco's are pretty cool in their own right! Blazer could still out 4x a pony any day, tho.)