Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding on frame

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Truckdweld, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Truckdweld

Truckdweld Registered Member

I was told in a nother post that welding on chevy frames is not good. Is there a proper way to do it. I want to weld in new crossmembers on my truck so i can fit a gas tank. Thanks for the help.
    Ryan

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hey there
    I work on semi-trucks and nothing on the frame gets welded.
    If the frame breaks it is arced out and welded. Then a glove is put in both sides and bolted in place.
    Another thing to consider is when welding on vehicles with a computer is to disconect the battery.
    If you don't you run the risk of frying the ECM.
    See ya

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

3. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

welding on the frame is not good you can weld on it but dont weld to the frame flanges you shoud be able to fab a crossmember that you can bolt on also dont weld on you truck if it has computer unless you unhook the battery cables

4x4k20

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

AFAIK Chevy truck frames are mild steel, not hardened or heat treated like Semi frames...
    Even so I would avoid welding one just to be safe.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I would have no qualms about welding on a Chevy frame.....my original trailer hitch had been welded years ago, it apparently pulled lots of stuff.....it's a '74...no sign of cracks or fatigue. Off-road racers weld 'em all the time.
    My 2 cents.....

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hey tR
    What does AFAIK mean LOL.
    See ya

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I have welded frames many times (streching and shrinking frames to change wheelbase) Many of these trucks were one tons that were worked VERY hard after mods. Never had one come back for any reasons. Any competant welder can weld one up I have seen trucks with just a but weld never come apart ( I prefer to plate mine) Anyhow in a nutshell dont be afraid of welding on these frames

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

POWERMAD- AFAIK means As Far As I Know.... [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've never had any problems welding on mine. I'm too lazy to unhook the batteries, too. Always fires right up.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Some tips for welding the frame from my GM Factory service manual:
    1. Do not use oxyacetylene
    2. When repair crack, grind flush
    3. When mounting accessories; do NOT weld across flanges
    4. When mounting accessories, do not weld within 19mm (3/4") of a flange
    5. Do not attach the ground cable to the engine. Connect the welding machine ground cables as close to the working area as possible.
    6. Do NOT disconnect the vehicle battery.
    7. Do not get welding cables near the wehicle wiring. Avoid direct contact between the welding cables and any part of the vehicle.

This was only 7 of the 15 steps listed; the rest were straightward such as clean rust off, do not use more heat than necessary, etc.

No mention of the "temper" of the frame but I also thought the frame was tempered. Maybe not!!

Hope this is of some help
    Brian
    89KBlazer

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have to agree, If your truck has a computer, MAKE sure it is disconected before any welding is done. If you are repairing a crack, it must be "v'd" and then welded. I would also reinforce it with another plate welded or bolted over it. I recently found a "tear" in the front rail of my frame and we are fixing it.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I worked for several years on a frame machine and had no problems with numerous frames that I cut out and replaced damaged sections (often cut at the firewall). Some were used very heavily afterward with no problems.

If you want more proof/info, call your local custom bed manufacturer. They cut and *extend* frames by welding in new sections all the time to make things like flat-beds, car haulers, roll backs, and utility bed trucks. I even made a car hauler myself out of a 69 GMC 1 ton by adding an 8’ straight section between the cab and rear axle plus another 4’ to the back end (dove tail). The bed was made completely of steel (with tool boxes and headache rack) and I frequently hauled one and towed one at the same time. Never had a single problem with the frame. Probably the worst load I ever had on it was a Suburban on the bed and an old HUGE Cadillac towed behind. Only problem I ever had with that truck was stopping it (even after I upgraded the front to disks by swapping a complete late model cradle).

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.