Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding on perches... rotate axle or keep it straight?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, May 16, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ok, time for my noob question of the day.

I have a new ff14b that I am gonna cut/grind the perches/shock mounts off so I can relocate the mounting points and use my own HD parts. When I put the new ones on, should I attach them so the yoke is perpendicular to the ground plane, or so that it points up towards the t-case? Here is what I'll be runnin...

ff14, np205 (fixed yoke), and a High Axle Driveline CV shaft 1350cv/1410 joint at ff14.

knowing that, how should I orient the axle? thanks in advance!

J

2. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

With the CV driveshaft you'll want to point the pinion almost directly at the t-case .. maybe 1-2* down.

3. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't perpendicular to the gound plane be pointing straight up? As scooter said, I figure you would want it pretty close to pointing at the T case. Isn't there some number of degrees that serves as the "range" of acceptible angle?

Side note, regarding the whole shims vs. moving the perches, is there any reason to use shims besides it being easier? Thoughts?

4. jekbrown

the only advantage I can see to shims is that they arent permenent... so if u r the type that upgrades your rigs suspension every month... you wont have to do quite so much work. Myself, I am gonna use rockjunkies super-beefy perches to move my ff14b back a lil ways. I needed to move the perches anyway... figured I'd go with something trick while I was at it. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

5. jekbrown

lol, good point on my perpedicular comment. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif must be to early in the day for me to function right. What I meant to say was parallel to the ground plane...

at any rate, I have one vote for angled up towards the t-case... any1 else wanna chime in?

J

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Weld them on. Just point it slightly below the angle that would be directly at the tcase. Reason beiing... you want the pinion to be pointing at the tcase exactly, or closest you can get it, when the truck is at full 'power'. So, when you are really hammering on it and the springs wrap a little, all springs do, the pinion will come up some. Hopefully this little rise will make it point right at the tcase during this time.

Ken H.

7. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Point it towards T-Case.

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Where did you get your spring perches? I am going to use a 14bff out of a van, and like you, while I am moving stuff around I figure I may as well use trick hardware...

9. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

When I did my 14b conversion w/cv joint I rotated the pinion up and set it 2 deg below the t'case and it runs perfect.

11. jekbrown

Swanson52: from rockjunkies. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

everyone else: thanks much for the info guys!! I know the HAD shaft will allow a lot of angularity, but I guess it makes sense to minimize it as much as possible so the travel that the HAD allows will be taken advantage of as the suspension does its job.

anyway, thanks again,

J

12. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Jesse from HAD will tell you to put it at 2degrees down. If that's what he wants, then that's what he gets. I mean, he does it for a living so I'm sure he knows his $H!T.