Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding on tranny adapter for NP205?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Jun 1, 2004.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

The adapter between my SM465 and NP205 has a hairline crack in it about 3 inches long. It doesn't seem to go through to the inside, at least I can't see any crack looking from the inside. Can I weld it with a MIG welder, it seems to be some kind of cast iron. If I can't fix it where can I get a new adapter?

2. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I had a crack in my 350 to 205 adapter and asked my tranny guy about it. He recommended a welder friend he uses. I took it to him and he used nickel rod. he dug a trench where the crack was and then filled it in with nickel. I havent done much wheeling with it since but I have done about 2000 road miles and no problems.

3. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Im wondering... How do you even know when it develops a crack? What kind of behavior does it exhibit? Does it just seep oil or something? I want to be able to know if mine ever does crack. not that the speed bumps at the mall are that harsh on my rig... but just in case. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I was doing a tranny rebuild and wnet through the 205 to twin stick it and cleaned the parts and noticed the crack. I put some pressure on it and saw it could open up. So since I had it apart I figured I better check into it.

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I am doing a tranny swap and while cleaning the parts we found the crak in the adapter.

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I have welded cast iron a number of times... and there is an art to it...
    it needs to be pre heated
    you need to do exactly as the other post said... v groove the break, make sure its good and clean
    use a special nickel rod designed specifically for cast iron welding... btw this is also the correct rod for tacking the oil pump pickup to the pump housing so it doesnt ever fall off... ( a drag for a 3k motor)
    it would not make sense ,even if you could find the wire and I dont think a specialty one is made.. or at least I have never seen or heard of one , to use with a mig...you would have lots of wire left over... even a mini spool
    NICE deep penetration with a buzzbox... I cant remember, (its on the rod box), if its an ac or dc rod... usually you can buy a pack of 5 (lincoln brand)
    rod does not store well... 5 of them should be able to fix the entire crack....
    let the cast cool naturally... of course no h2o... although you can put it in sand to cool...
    the porosity of cast iron makes it brittle and preheating/natural cooling is necessary to prevent some of this
    I think about 125 amps is the setting to start...
    hope this help