Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding onto frame??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by barbastard, Jul 22, 2002.

1. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to fab up my new front bumper and winch support box. However my design involves adding on some length to the front frame horns to clear the winch. To do this I plan on welding some steel channel to the ends of the frame horns and then welding in some 4x6x1/4 tube steel between the frame rails to support the winch. My question is this...I've heard that welding onto the frame is bad and not to do it. If I remember correctly what was stated was that it would weaken the frame and/or the welds wouldn't hold due to frame flex. Is this true or just an unfounded rumor. Please advise. All welds would be done using a lincoln arc welder and if need be I could preheat the frame rails to accept the welds and reduce the chances of differential temperature warping.Thanks for the help...

Nate

AKA "Barbastard"

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

*unfound rumor*

Assuming you weld correctly, it will be just fine. Yes the frame flexes and its designed to do that, but if you do it correctly it will not weaken the frame at all.

There were other rumors I heard where the frame was heat treated and required special welding techniques too. Complete hogwash /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've heard the same BS about the frame material. It's stamped mild steel...anyone that disagrees is welcome to find any link proving that statement wrong. It's actually kinda funny...GM spending the bucks to heat treat the frames? Bawahahahaha!!!! It only took em 35 years or so to fix the poorly designed valve cover set-up on the sbc...

Rene

4. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

The above posts are right. I would not pre-heat it, just weld it.

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

We didnt say anything about pre-heating. We said that the myth of the frame being "heat treated" for additional strength is false.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have welded to the frame and have seen it done so much that I can assure you that, done properly, it will be stronger than the surrounding frame. However, I would reccomend building your whole bumper assembly so that it can be bolted onto the frame.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Both my bumpers are welded on. My cage plates are welded on. The weld on frame fix kits ord sells are, well, um, welded on. No problems. Don't believe everything you hear, some folks will spout shinola all day long if someone will listen.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Proper welding (clean metal, proper ground, right welder settings, etc.) will do the job very well. But consider how hard getting your sheet metal off later will be if you create something that gets in the way. Or do you think it would be easier to modify your mounts later (if you change winches for example) by unbolting the mount and working on a table or would you rather try to modify it on the truck? Bolt on items can me made strong enough also and let you work on it later with out as many hassles.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the flame wrench removes almost anything

10. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

WAXER, barbastard said he could preheat it if he had to, thats what I was reffering too.

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the flame wrench removes almost anything

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes but does not as easy and increases the chance for damaging components. Not to mention it is harder to put the bumper back on right...

Either meathod will work and be just as strong when you look at the mounting point just think about what you are willing to deal with later on.

12. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

The only thing I may be concerned with is welding the tube between the frame rails. Am I understanding correctly that you would be tieing the front frame rails together. I don't know if that will cause any undue stress under flex, but it may. Something to think about.

John

13. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Do it, I have a Warn original winch bumper and a 8274 winch, which I welded to the frame with 5-p (60-10) and have had NO problems
    I did not however weld a brace between the two frame rails,
    On flex, it (the bumper) does move alot
    I also mounted the bottom of the bumper mounts at the top 2/3rd's of the frame, helps with clearance issues and departure angle
    Good Luck!