Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding Patches

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Aug 10, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well I did some welding on my tailgate today to get rid of some of the rust but I was having a hard time doing it. How do you make the patch exactly the same size as the hole or what is the trick? I seem to not be able to make a peice of steel the same size as the hole and then I end up with gaps which are hard to fill. Any suggestions or other methods? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

just use the piece that you cut out as a template or if there was just a rusty hole then try cutting out a perfect square in the tailgate and then make another perfect square for the patch.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

The thing is, my tool of choice is an angle grinder... its very difficult to cut a perfect square. And also the peice I cut out is smaller than the hole because of the width of the wheel. I don't have the $ for a plasma cutter thats for sure. What other tools work well?

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well, if you are using a 3/16" wide wheel (just a #) just make your measured square 3/16" (or would it be half that....) bigger?

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

are u working with just the shell or is the tailgate on the truck and loaded with all the window stuff?

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I use a ultra thin cutting wheel on my 5" angle grinder, and if I concentrate, I can make a good straight cut.

7. jrsheets

jrsheets Registered Member

Take a piece of paper and some masking tape. Cover the hole with the piece of paper and tape it down. Feel your way around the cut out area with a sharpy marker and you can get a pretty accurate outline of the hole. I've found this is the easiest way to make a good template to cut from. This should work pretty well for you even if your working on a curved surface. I've done a few spots around the skirts of my truck, all came out pretty good with a little layer of filler. Nothing tremendous. Im actually attempting the entire rear wheel well arc panel right now. Its going to be a challenge to smooth out.

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I'm working with a loaded tailgate that is on the truck. It would be easier if it were just the shell cause then I could just weld from the back and have less smoothing to do but I'll keep my eye out for an ultra thin cutting disk and I'll try the paper template trick.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

cut a piece of patch that is bigger than the area you need to fix, cut it grind it relatively strate then use a scribe to mark it on the panle you are working on, a good sharp mark, or use a brand new marker, then cut on the inside of the line.
    make it smaller if anything then you can go back and grind it bigger if you need to. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I think I may try cutting the patch first next time I do then run a felt marker around and then cut the hole.

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

sounds perfect /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    so hows things up there my canadian brother?

how do you have rust out there? they dont use salt!! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I bought a few good thin cutting discs at acklands, they have a good brand there. Charger or something like that.

13. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thanks Fry, I'll try Acklands out. Well you see, in Saskatchewan there is snow for most of the year. And there in the summer, it rains and then dries and rains and dries....etc. You get the idea. There are trucks from like 98 that are starting to rust.... not cool.