Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding question - do I need to shop for a new 14-bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djohnsn, Oct 13, 2002.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

Can too much heat on the outside of a piece of metal cause metal to flake off on the inside? I had a shop torch off and weld on new spring perches and shock mounts on an axle tube (14-bolt ff). When I disassembled the axle and flushed out the tube later, I discovered a lot of metal flakes (not rusty) inside the axle tubes. Gears, bearings, and axles seem ok. Any ideas?

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I do welding and find that if you over heat the steel you can cause blistering on the other side of a thin piece. Most of the time it will be from imperfection it the steel itself (oil on the inside), and by adding heat to it the impurities will burn causing smoke that blisters the steel. But the result is usually just flaking of the steel and since you have the axles out just try to clean off as much as possible.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif<font color="red"> LETS GO ANGLES </font color> /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I would just clean the housing very thoroughly and reuse it. Those housing tubes are pretty thick and can take some amount of heat. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That's just the mill scale coming off from the heat. It's no big deal at all.

Rene