Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding question............

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by k5freak44, Oct 17, 2004.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

I did some welding on our garage door today, so it dosent fall anytime soon. I did most of this welding in the garage with the door open and a fan on me. The rest i did outside where it was all breezy.

Im pretty sure the garage door is galvanized steel and i also know it puts off a poisonous zinc oxide gas.

I did my best holding my breath, but my question is, how bad is this stuff to breathe in?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I breathed it once and I died.

Pad

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

im serious [censored].

could this [censored] [censored] me up?

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Didnt you find it was harder to get a good weld, with the wind blowing the argon away?

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've never had the chance to weld on it but have heard that prolonged exposure can be harmful. From what you described about the fan and then outside, sounds like you took precautions about the situation.

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

innershield wire. couldent get the gas fitting today.

how bad is the ZINC OXIDE. yall are acting like its noting to worry about wich is good.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You can check out chemical facts here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I have heard seasoned career welders tell me they would not weld hot dipped galvanized no matter what. I guess the stuff is pretty toxic. Dont know about electro-galvanized. I don't think I'd wanna mess with it unless I cleaned down to the steel first.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    innershield wire. couldent get the gas fitting today.

how bad is the ZINC OXIDE. yall are acting like its noting to worry about wich is good.

[/ QUOTE ]
    bad bad [censored] man, the guy i tlke to when i was reparig my bosses barn( galv. steel) were like do what ever it takes not to beath it in. Its like a posion gas, i use a pretty big fan and did alot out doors to prevent any gettin in my mask

10. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

all the stuff i did inside the garage was wirbrushed down pretty good. i also had a fan blowing like less then a foot from me. when i went out side i held my breath and kept it held like 10 seconds after i finished the weld.

11. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

but im talking like 22 gague stuff here

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Ya, I would reccomend avoiding it if at all possible. It is crap to weld, turns out yellow, puts out a white powder residue, and now it can rust which is the main reason for using galvy. I understand it is what needed to be done. I just wouldn't make a habbit of it. Guys that do large scale galvy work wear breathing gear (tank/filter) for a reason. I have done it and lived, then found out it wasn't as safe as I thought.

13. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

FYI

Next time you do something you *think* could kill you, ASK FIRST.

14. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Welding Galvanized is bad, the gas IS poison... but with the fans and the breeze I seriously doubt you will notice any ill-effects... maybe a headache or your eyes may burn but I know guys that have welded on it all day every day for months before noticing any effects.

Not that I am suggesting you run out and fire up the welder again, but if you just hit a few spots and took the precautions you described your going to be fine.

15. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

no yellow or powder residue /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

i think it was galvainzed

wasant rusted any where

oh and i welded first then realized it was galvanized later.

16. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Don't worry about it too much. In the small quanity you welded, it's nothing. In large doses, it's definatley not good for ya. I've welded on it enough at times to make myself sick and get a headache. Nothin long term though. I know that if you know you are going to be welding on galvy, drink milk. Believe it or not. And it works, a glass or two before and a glass or two after and all is well.

17. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

It is the prolonged exposure to stuff like that which will kill you. A one time deal isn't bad, but it's not good either. I welded some galvy a few years ago, and I'm still alive.

-Chris

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Hey Rustolum makes some Aluimum heavy duty paint(the one with the hard hat on it silver color can) that works hella good, makes the Galv. look great. I also bought the spray on Galv. stuff from them but it sucks. I needed to use this cause it was for a horse barn, and horse piss is very corrosive /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif and it held uo very well so far!! Plus it looks awsome!!!

19. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I heard that it causes certain body parts to shrink /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I did it before and it was really no big deal, I just held my breatch for the 10 seconds that I was welding then went out side and let the garage clear out for a while, nothin happened to me so /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif