Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cbbr, Jan 14, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am going to weld in a new section in my exhaust y-pipe to get the front driveshaft off of it. Question is do I need to disconnect the truck's battery before welding the pipe. Using a mig wedler.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup!

I would--I welded hundreds of times on cars and trucks with no problems--then one time I welded some new metal on the tailpan of my van under the rear doors--after I was done,I started it up to move it out of the garage,and I heard a loud squealing noise coming out of my subwoofer box--my 300 watt amplifier went up in a cloud of smoke!--didnt fry the speakers or the radio,but the amp was TOAST!---this was with an arc welder,but the mig is basically the same ,I would definately disconnect the battery--I was glad my van didnt have a computer in it,or that might have been cooked too....:blush: --I've seen others blow headlight and tailight bulbs out while welding too,and I think the HEI module wont like the voltage surges either...:crazy:

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Get a good ground and it's not necesary. I've never unhooked a battery on any vehicle I've welded on. Welded on quite a few too. Computer and non-computer. Obviously not a big deal if ya wanna disconect it anyways though.:)

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Personally I will disconect the battery before welding on any vehicle
    For the amount of time it takes , you would really be pissed off replacing electronics ($$$) because of a poor ground situation
    I have not in the past and been lucky , but a few guys did it on their pulp trucks and paid the price (no waranty coverage , comp. rats them out at the dealer)
    Better safe than sorry.

:thumb:

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i have welded contless time with no problem but i always have good ground.

grind the meatle bare and have your clamp on tight no prob.

but yeah if your worryed putt the ground only takes a min.