Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding question

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by rerun93, Jan 24, 2005.

1. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

ok i just picked up a older miller from my gramps, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on a "how to" weld. last time i welding was about 5 years ago and i realy had no idea what i was doin. i have read u guys talkin about a j or c type of weld, but have no idea waht u guys are takin about. not sure what model it is. its pretty big 120v wire mig.i will post a pic when i get home from work.

ty
    ReRuN

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Welding is all about how you put the metal down... some people like to do slow circles to get a full bead and others do J or c movements. I think thats what they mean by j and c. I can weld steel pretty good and know the techniques but not the terms. My dad tought me when i was 12. Quality of the bead depends on how far you hold the gun from the metal and how fast you move it. Diff amp/wire speed will affect this. Try to go as slow as you can without puttin globs of metal down.

Nobody can tell you how to weld on a computer. Just gotta keep doin it till you find something that works.

Practice makes........... do i have to say it?:weld::eek1:

3. rerun93

alright cool i will go get some scrap steel from someone so i can practice. as soon as i get ok at it. it will be time to fill in holes and replace panels woot!

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

May sound silly, but I got a small (less than 50 page) book called "How to MIG Weld" from Harbor Freight. It was about $4 and is illustrated. Can't teach you technique, but it helps. It tells you what the common mistakes are and the signs of those mistakes. I made them all. It helped me while practicing. Good luck.

5. rerun93

cool i will ahve to pic it up this weekend when i go to redding. they have a harbor frieght. does it tell u how to adjust speeds and volt for different thicknesses of the metal?

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90696

I can't find mine right this second, but IIRC it covers all of the basics. I found it very helpful while getting started (and still find it helpful when I can find it).

The website (above) lists it for $10 but I think that I paid about $4 or $5. Typical Harbor Freight, everything is on sale at some point.