Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding Rear diff questions!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, May 22, 2002.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Hi guys,

I have a buddy that is very interested in welding up his rear D60! He wanted me to ask how all of you guys did yours? What type of welding, what rod, etc?? If you could explain the process and materials used I would appreciate it! He has a neighbor that is a professional welder, but he has never welded up a diff before, so wanted to make sure he used the right stuff!

Thanks guys!

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Oops, missed that! Thanks! But what kind of "rod" was used? I think I have seen that question before and was looking for someone who might have done this to give me their feedback...

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i think it was 7013 rod, mine was miged. i guess that could also work. they guy welding it(from a good reputable shop) said it would be easier and it'd be the same thing.

He did do one with a rod and the others with mig, the mig looked like it went on beter, IMO

ARQ.

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Do it with a MIG welder. Very minimal clean up as compared to a stick. I've got a spare carrier that I welded up with a MIG. Waaaaaay easier. All I did was weld the spider gear together. Worked out good. A tip- When ya pull the carrier out of the housing, don't clean the gear oil off with a solvent or anything. Let the excess drain off, but leave the residue. It will help keep most of the spatter and boogers from sticking to everything in the carrier. It'll stink and smoke alot while your welding, but thats it. Makes clean up ALOT easier and faster. Haha, One of these days I need to stick that carrier in the truck and toss the open one...:) Also, there is no 7013 rod. There is a 6013....Could also have been 7018.

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If you go to the ORD forum, there is a very complete set of instructions typed by yours truly. Someone asked Stephen about welding a diff, and he got lots of answers.

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys!! I love this place! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Is the procedure the same for a 12 bolt? I am thinking of welding it up if it's possible and then put a locker in my front D44.

10. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

guess i got them mess up 7018, is the one.
    glad you caught that.

ARQ.

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Haha, I was the one that asked the question on the ORD forum. And I did get alot of answers. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Yes, the procedure outlined in the ORD forum will work on any axle. The only thing to watch out for is don't weld the cross pin. Make sure you don't weld anything that would prohibit being able to pull the axles or the Cclips that hold them in.

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Great thank you! I'll print out the procedure. Looks like I have a project to do this weekend! At least this way, I can save some money until I can afford the lockers I want front AND rear.