Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding rust

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wfahlgren, Oct 13, 2001.

1. wfahlgren

wfahlgren 1/2 ton status

My blazer needs help on her holes O rust. I am not a welder. How much does a body shop cost to do work? I need to weld in a whole new windshild frame, and rocker panels, with various other places. I tried to do it my self with a buddy mig welder. It looks like spaggetti all over.

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at a body shop but it is worth it if you don't have the welding skills necessary. You don't need to be a metalurgist but body parts can be tricky because of heat warpage.
    John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

3. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

I took a welding class at my local community college and that helped alot. They taught stick welding only but the principles were the same. I also have a friend that is an excellent welder and is willing to teach me. Usually he lets me screw it up then tells me how to do it right! Take the time to learn it. It's worth it.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

4. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

I agree learn to do it yourself. I am replaceing the rockers as well in mine, and was quoted about $800 just for the rockers and a few small holes in the floor. So I'm going to learn myself. And the community college thing is a great idea, I'm probably going to enroll in it next semester.

72 K5 - 33's on stock susp. and lots of rust! But at least it's payed for!!!

5. chevyracing

Nothing wrong with doing it yourself.... There is more to it though than being able to run a straight bead without burning it up. If you are going to do it yourself make sure you do your homework or you can cause yourself more headache than you had when you started. Get a good book or a video and pay attention to it and learn from others mistakes and good fortune. I have never had a lesson in my life but I can weld two aluminum cans together by messing a whole lot of them up learning. The most important thing is have fun....

John

6. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

chevyracing's not lieing. you should see all the messed up beer cans at his house.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT[​IMG]
    <font color=red>PROUD TO BE AMERICAN[​IMG]

7. chevyracing

If you want to see all of the messed up beer cans you better hurry and get over here before Mudnutt borrows them!!!! LMAO

8. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

i borrowed the beer from inside the can. you said you wanted to keep the cans for scrap[​IMG]
    deck

9. chevyracing

I $ee, Heck, I have to keep the $crap to $ell to buy food for my kid$. If only I had $ome extra ca$h.....HMMMM

10. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

come on get off the feed my kids thing. you dont even have kids.lmao!!!!![​IMG]
    deck

11. chevyracing

Then what are those tiny things that look like miniature people that run around and hide my tools when I am working on my Blazer?
    Hey Deck, I think we are wandering off of the subject here... LOL

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) &lt;img src="http://coloradok5.com/forums/images/icons/cool.gif"&gt;