Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding school

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by foolhardy, Jan 10, 2006.

1. foolhardy

foolhardy Registered Member

where would be a good school to get certified in welding

2. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

got mine from the local junior college.

3. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Me too, albeit years and years ago and God knows I wasn't any good at it back then either...My new plan of attack is Lincoln SP-135, scrap metal, and practice, practice, practice...

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yep. Local community college. That's where I took all my classes. After that it'll take practice to get pretty but you should be able to make a functional weld.

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I went to lincoln school.... but thats expensive and sometimes specialized to different welding types...pipe, underwater, nuclear vessel,,, and theres no need to go to a school like that
    I also went to a community college and found the training excellent,,, the equipment had been used hard but the teachers were great,,, and it was very cost effective
    and if you get certified then it doesnt really matter where you went

cam

6. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

i got taught in high school in this special program they setup. Now im goin to Baren Institute in CT, its the only damn school i could find that teaches welding in CT and Mass

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Dont know where you are but Cerritos college in Socal has a great welding department. My friend got certified in a few areas, dont know which but he is doing engineering so he can be an inspector. They have a great deal of new equipment and many great instructors. Cerritos is a good trade type community college, there auto department is freakin sweet too. They have about 12 bays for mechanical stuff, all new tools, each bay has its own water, air, lift, light, tool box, and table. Next to that is another 4 or 5 bays that has stuff for doing aligment, tires, etc. And next to that is the body shop, they have four large sized spray booths and a few more bays for body stuff. But I would definitely highly reccommend them or a community college for some of your welding education.

8. AZ75K5

AZ75K5 Registered Member

If you want a good school and havent yet checked it out... www.wizardfabrications.com
    Depending on where you live, there is one in Riverside, CA...one in Phoenix, AZ and one coming in Las Vegas. They are the only school I have found period that specialize in chassis design, geometry, suspension set up and fabrication. They cover rock crawler design, pre runners, sandrails, and choppers. Its a 6 month program and a bit pricey...but by far the best out there if you are looking to build/fabricate your own chassis, etc. I guess it boils down to what you are wanting to learn about welding. Good luck though in your search.:wink1:

9. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

There might be a school not too far from you. Where are you? Southern Cal? Minnesota? Miami? Costa Rica? Bremerhaven? Calcutta? Some other place?

10. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

well, thats BS. I'm from mass and know of a couple schools, although not near CT.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Vocational School..

I learned mostly on my own using an older friends "tombstone" Lincoln arc welder...but I did get some instruction, and practice at the vocational school I went too..(Bristol-Plymouth Reigonal in MA)...I took "Industrial Maintenence",the "Metal Fabrication" classes were booked up for years in advance..they do offer night classes there,so do many colleges in our area..

Mig welders were just becoming popular in 1976 when I learned to weld..all our school had (in my shop anyway) was an arc welder and cutting torches..I still haven't used a Mig welder very much at all..never owned one!..

I already knew how to strike an arc,and run a good bead before I enrolled,so I was chosen to be the person to do the "demonstration".I liked being a student better,the others treated me like a "know it all"..and I didn't really "know" much about welding..just that I could DO it!..

.I think my teacher wasn't very good at welding at all..he was a lot better at using torches and machine shop work.,and electrical wiring,and other areas of the trade..I learned the most by actually doing it,and did a lot more welding in my backyard than at school.. I think buying a welder is money better spent than on classes myself..
    .. :crazy:

12. wizfab

wizfab Registered Member

Hi. My name is John DeVillier, owner of Wizard Schools of Fabrications in riverside ca. I found this site on our web tracker and thought I would speak on this subject. I have been a fabricator in the sandrail industry for 25 years and started the first fabrication school that teaches with a hands on approach. Our school has been open for two years now and there has been many stories written in mags like Dirtsports,Sandsports and HotVWs about our program. This post is to share with this website this great opportunity for someone looking for this type of training so they can learn from professionals and have the confidence to build their own cars or trucks in a short time. There's nothing wrong with teaching yourself at home as I did but it took many years and some of the crap I built was pretty scary. Either way it's good that you try. We have several different classes that teach specific vehicles. Our classes run six months two nights a week for 4-hours,6-10 pm. We issue you all your welding gear, (helmet,welding jacket,gloves for mig and tig,face sheld,saftey glasses ect...) yours to keep. This is hands on so you start welding the second night, five weeks of nothing but welding on mig and tig. Next you team up in teams of six and build a jig table that you will design and build a complete rolling chassis (rock crawler,sandrail,prerunner, your choice) with suspension under the watchful eyes of the industry's best. Again, you may learn on your own, but for the the person that needs the guidance this class may be for you. The cost is $6,500 for the complete course. If you have more questions, please post them and I will get back asap. Please check out our website for more info. Thanks for the opportunity to speak on this cool website.
    The Wizard....................

www.wizardfabrications.com

13. wizfab

wizfab Registered Member

Build Your On Crawler And Keep It !!!!!

This program is for the person that doesn't have the tools and or space
    to build his/her own rock crawler. You can choose any type of chassis or build a street legal crawler out of your own jeep or truck. If you choose to build on your own truck or jeep, just remove the fuel tank, engine oil and coolant and your all set. You could build an exo cage or a complete internal cage with four link front and rear. The program starts at $10,000 and goes up depending on your choice of vehicle.
    Wizard schools of California is offering classes that will teach and provide you with the space, tools, materials and instruction to build your own rock crawler Chassis (includes Frame, all heims and mis-alignment bushings, tabs). Then you supply the axles to build your four link. Then you can either take your Chassis home or rent space at our facility to finish it. Included with the course is a student discount card for the purchase of engines, transmission, shocks, wheels and tires, seats and all other components needed to customize your crawler. Several frame plans will be provided for you to choose from.
    Weekend classes (3 days): 9 weeks = 180 hours
    Friday 6-10 pm
    Saturday 8am – 4 pm
    Sunday 8am – 4 pm
    Morning Classes (5 days): 4 1/2 weeks = 180 hours
    Monday thru Friday 8am – 4pm
    Both classes will start with 20 hours of safety and welding, then learn how to use all shop tools. You will get your own bay to work in for the next 160 hours, to build your own rock crawler.
    Frame materials provided will be 1 1/2 inch x .120 DOM
    Suspension materials are 1 3/4 inch x .120 Chromoly
    Upgrade options include 1 ¾ inch x .120 DOM add $500.00
    or if you wish to use all Chromoly add $2,000
    For more info, call (951) 683-4199

The start dates for the build your own vehicles is May 26, 06. All of the classes offered will start on this day. We are enrolling and filling spots in these classes at this time, so if you would like to hold your spot call Chris Begley at the Riverside school at (951) 683-4199 to make an appointment for a tour.

http://www.wizardschools.com

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  14. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

Wizfab, your school sounds pretty awesome. would love to be able to get more welding experience in tig but you are kinda far for me. I receiver my three certs from Wilmington Skills Center in Wilmington ca. in stick welding. have about 12 yrs self taught experience too.

15. wizfab

wizfab Registered Member

Hey,the only way to get good is to spend many hours at home burning wire. We just teach you all the basics and have every thing you need in a short time. Keep building things and you will improve. We will be offering a fab shop in a box with all the plans, parts, tools needed to build at home. Stay tuned......

http://www.wizardschools.com

16. rdn2blazer

my self taught exp. is with mig, I do pretty well but I have my off days too :D , just frustrating when you spend all day welding great then the next day it just is not as good as you would like and not what you did just the day before. man I hate that.

17. wizfab

wizfab Registered Member

Even after 25 years, I still have those days. Now the problem is my eye's, I need to have my glasses on or I can't see what I'm welding. LOL :weld:

18. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

amen brother.. if it wasnt for cheaters in my helmets I couldnt see... work closer than 18 inches is a blur ... and tig jiust looks like a sparkler to me

thank god for technology

19. wizfab

wizfab Registered Member

Open House In Riverside Ca. !!!!

Wizard schools is having a grand opening of it's new facility in Riverside on Sat. June 10 from 10 - 4. There will be free food ( carne asada, hamburgers and hot dogs ) all you can eat. Displays from all the major sponsors like.....AlphaMale Power Sports
    Porter Race Cars
    Buckshot Racing
    Cutting Edge Performance
    DeWalt Power Tools
    Desert Specialties
    JMR Mfg.
    K&H Metals
    Southwest Performance
    Sand Obsession Videos
    FiberWorks
    Toxic Performance
    High Roller Motor Sports
    SandCar Specialties
    Kar Tek and many more.
    If you would like to display a vehicle, call the number below.
    For more info and directions visit us on the web at www.wizardschools.com or call (951) 683-4199

20. rdn2blazer

is JMR Mfg. the maker of the ratchet bender? if so I think that bender is an awesome unit. I mean the one you can use a 3/8 ratchet to drive it.