Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding spider gears on a 12 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steveo, Aug 3, 2004.

1. steveo

steveo Registered Member

ok i finally decided to do it, going to college and all i cant afford a locker so im just gonna weld my spider gears on my 12 bolt since its got 3.08's and i cant afford a gear swap ill just weld this one and when she blows ill find a better set with some 3.73's, anyway does anyone have a picture or diagram of how to weld the spider gears or where i should say to put the beads, and help wouold be great.

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Here's a couple quick paint drawings I did for you:

Unwelded carrier:
    [​IMG]

Carrier with welds:
    [​IMG]

You can just weld the spider together where they meet(what I did) or you can weld them where I show AND to the carrier(if you dont plan on reusing it)...

HTH!

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Just weld where they meet. At least that way if they break and nothing else goes with them you can replace them with new ones and be on your way. If you weld right to the carrier and the carrier breaks with the spider gears you're SOL since your axles won't stay in the housing. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. gatorbait

gatorbait Registered Member

If you do have an open carrier a Mini-Spool is only $100.00 and takes about an hour to install and you do not have to worry if it is gonna break like welded spiders. (This is what I did).

Just my .02

6. steveo

steveo Registered Member

yea but i dont have the knowledge to install a spool because the reguires me to re align all the gears back up and everything and if i could do that on my own i would just regear it myself....

7. gatorbait

gatorbait Registered Member

A full spool is not available for the 12 bolt. A mini spool simply replaces the spider gears without affecting the gear setup (you do not have to even loosen the bearing caps). Pull differential cover, remove spider pin, remove c-clips and axles, remove spider gears and install mini spool (really easy). Slide axles in and install c-clips install locking blocks and spider pin and your done. If you can do simple stuff like changing oil and brake pads you can do this. The company you buy the parts from can supply instructions as well. Just wanted to give you another option you may not have known about.

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, it is not hard to install a mini spool like Gator suggested.... Not a bad deal for around $100!

9. steveo

steveo Registered Member

wow thanks, haha i am mechanically inclined i just always thought a spool completely replaced the carrier so i would have to unbolt the ring gear and everything, wow thanks alot i think a mini spool is my new option.