Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding spider gears...Will it hold up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Oct 18, 2006.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Like it says.

Whenever I get my van...Instead of spending mucho dollars on a locker it'd be nice to get my rear end welded up.

I've heard alot about welded rear ends not holding up though..so I dunno.

Any insight?

It being a G20 van I'm assuming it's a 3/4 ton rearend?
    So it's probably a 14 bolt SF.

I know for a fact it has no form of limited slip or posi, she's totally open.

2. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Better off spooling it IMHO.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

g20's only have 10 bolts from what ive seen...5 lug at that. i wouldnt weld a 10 bolt...

4. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Might find a posi 14 bolt sf to put under it then.

It'll be the same procedure as doing the swap to a K5 right?

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not needed..

I would definately NOT weld it!...it wont steer for S***,and you'll bust an axle on the street most likely--not to mention scrub the tread off the inside tire each time you turn a corner!..

Most G-20 "3/4 ton" vans are still 5 lug,and have the same 10 bolt axle as a half ton,only the wheel bearings and brakes are a bit bigger....not something thats real rugged IMO--you can find posi's and limited slip diffs used in boneyards,or swap in a 14 bolt--I think the 1 ton vans had different spring pad spacing,I'm not sure they had 14 bolt SF's in vans,I'm thinking only 1 tons had a FF one available..if you swap in an 8 lug rear,you'll have to carry 2 spare tires with both lug patterns..it's no picnic making any 2wd chevy truck or van 8 lugs up front--you have to just about swap the entire front end in-- "A" frames,springs,ball joints and many other parts are different!..

I had no trouble getting around in my G-10 in the winter--all the weight of the plywood paneling,carpet,bed,and other camping stuff gave it plenty of traction..I don't recall ever having to get it towed out of a snowbank or getting stuck in it--and its an open diff!...:crazy: