Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding spider gears

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by NJBLZ, Jan 12, 2007.

1. NJBLZ

NJBLZ 1/2 ton status

I have acces to my friends arc welder. What rods should I be using for welding spider gears? By the way I'm just assuming arc is best way to go.

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I just used 6013, it's what I had laying around. I made sure to get everything real clean before puting the carrier back in. Didn't want anything to ruin the new gears I had installed at the same time. There is an article around here some place on welding the spiders. I kinda did the same thing but, I also welded the spider ball to the carrier.

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

For an arc welder on cast carriers and hardened gears I've had good luck using 7018's. Hardest part is to try to get all the shielding slag outta there.

Marv

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a strong MIG is the best way to go. i mean like a 220V MIG. I'd say something a little bigger than a 175 machine.

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Eh first time i did mine was with 7018. (only the gears and started to have slop, so I did it again.)

Second time was MIG'd (snap on 135) and I welded the spiders togather and to the cross. never had a problem w/ 42's/doubler, 38's and 40's.

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

my 175 Miller will lay some nice fat welds with a straight drag, and if you manipulate the stinger and feather it out it will do over a 3/8 fillet weld easy, I would think it would probably be fine, just crank the volts up and weld it hot, dont over feed the wire. no slag to deal with, still have to get the dingle barries out and cleaned up. as said before, just make sure everything is very clean and free of ANY oil.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd coat the gears in anti-spatter. Anti-spatter is one of my best friends.