Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding spider gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by leviathan, Oct 2, 2002.

1. leviathan

leviathan Newbie

Okay here it is I was checking out the article about welding the spider gears. Do I weld the pinion gears of the spiders like the side gears? Also what electrode should I use or would it be just as easy to mig them? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

the article is for a 14bolt full floater,and I was told about a different way to weld it which Iam this weekend,weld the spiders to the shafts,agian this is for the 14bolt,there is people that run a welded 10bolt on here,so if this is your kind of axle get with them to figure out the best way to do it /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. leviathan

leviathan Newbie

Well let me know how it works out, I'm not running a 14 bolt it might have ten bolts. It's not a full floater, c-lip axle no big deal but I want to incorparate somthing where I don't need to weld it to gether as on great big glob. I had a locker but a pin broke then it puked all at the same time. In all actuality I'm looking for a few good ideas on welding it up before I start.

4. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ok on the 12 axle the best way that me and a friend found is to weld the side gears to the carrier instead of the spiders to the side gears we all no that the 12 bolt spiders are junk we did that to his 12 bolt with a mig cranked and its still holding been there for 3 years and thats with 35's aslo the front the same way . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif