Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding spiders?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hd-10, Mar 10, 2004.

1. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

i read the article on the welding the spiders for the 14 bolt. has anyone else done it to there's and if so how do you feel about it? i am thinking about doing it to mine for now so i can save up for a dana 60 and then get the locker for the rear? let me know thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Are you going to be driving it on the street very much? That's the big factor to consider when welding spiders. I have the spiders (and carrier) welded on my piddly little 12 bolt, but I never drive my K5 on the road anymore. You won't have to worry about breakage so much on a 14-bolt, but you will have to worry about tire wear. Welding is good, though. I like mine. If your truck will not see much or any street usage, I would just stick with the welded spiders and not blow the money on a locker at a later date.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

don't do it like the article. they will wear out and the spiders can crack. If you weld it weld it into a full ball mini spool, or even a mini spool and then to the carrier for the most strength.

I have the spiders like article and I am going to reweld them into a mini spool.

Harley

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I agree, mine is welded like that and it is holding up fine. Can't say that about my BFG's though. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

I welded 75-K5's and used 6013's on the gears to get in between the crevices then used Nickel 99 rods to weld the cast iron carrier to the gears. seems to be working well...

NITRO

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I saw an add in my latest peterson's 4Wheel for drivetrain direct that had mini spools of a 14FF. It had a picture of it and it did have the full X pin design (4 ends).

8. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

it takes me to and from work everyday about 14 mile round trip then the rest is offroad so i think that it should be a good choice. do think so?

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have driven mine as a DD for over a year with it welded and no problems beside tire wear and turning radius. Mine sees 90% street duty. I have at least 8,000 miles on the clock with it welded. Sounds like a good choice to me.

Harley

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

You must have a large tire budget then /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    i read the article on the welding the spiders for the 14 bolt. has anyone else done it to there's and if so how do you feel about it? i am thinking about doing it to mine for now so i can save up for a dana 60 and then get the locker for the rear? let me know thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my reply to this post. It kinda urned into a mini write up on how to weld the 14b Jethro style. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    Clicky

12. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

good article lots of good info but i have the 9.5" and i beleive that was the ff 10.5" but for the most part it should be the same way right? also were are located at and how far from lemoore?

13. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Well, you didn't say that. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif My welded 9.5" lasted about 2 months before the spiders exploded. Then, I installed a Detroit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Luckily, nothing else was damaged in the breakage. Hopefully, you will be as fortunate.

14. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Did you weld your spiders to the carrier or did you only weld the spiders together. As mentioned before only welding the spiders will not last, my spiders and carrier is welded into one big blop of metal and it is still holding up just fine.