Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding spiter gears?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newbe73, Apr 7, 2002.

1. newbe73

newbe73 Registered Member

ok you guys, i saw that mod on this web site where it teaches you how to weld your 14 bolt and give it locked differentials. well it got me to thinking and i want to do that to my blazer. but i have never hurd of 14 bolt . i think that mine is 12 i got 1/2 tone axle and 6 lugs on each side so i guess me real question is will that welding work on mine and will i use the same welding spots and stuff , thanks if you guys can get back to me.

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

the 12 bolt carrier does not disassemble the way a 14 bolt does to my understanding, therefoe you are stuck with welding the spiders to the carrier.

John

3. newbe73

newbe73 Registered Member

are you shure how come noone responds

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure chevyracing nailed it on the nose. Once you do it, you have to replace the spiders and the carrier to go back to open if you dont like it. Its also an issue of the c-clip style axle that your dealing with on the 12 bolt as opposed to the full floating axle bolted on at the hub on a 14 bolt.

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status