Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WELDING THE 14 -BOLT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MUD JUNKIE, Sep 16, 2002.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I told myself screw it, I'm going to weld those spiders up,which rod size should I use,I've got 25 pounds of 6011'swould that work?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Weld it solid if you're going to do it...I'd use 7014 or if you have a DC machine 7018.

Rene

3. MUD JUNKIE

I've got a lincoln 225amp arc how many amps do ya think,and I was going for the fill in the gap approach.

4. tRustyK5

Do not weld it up like the article on the home page. Mine was done like that and it lasted for almost 2 years but the side gears were damaged (a few cracked teeth and one chipped off tooth) The hardened teeth on the side gears eventually cut into the welded area and create more and more play. With enough play the gears get hammered pretty hard.

Set up one half of the carrier with the 4 spiders on the cross shaft and properl;y seated. Tack the spiders to the cross shaft lightly. Pull the tacked up assembly out and flip it over the other way, confirm the spiders and cross-shaft are fully seated and tack the other side of the spiders to the cross shaft. Trial fit the second half of the carrier with the tacked spiders installed and make sure it seats properly. If all is good pull it out and weld the spiders to the cross shaft really good.

Rene

5. MUD JUNKIE

so this will last longer? 2 years aint that bad I might get rid of the truck by then....

6. tRustyK5

You might not.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif Welded the way I just described and you can still use the carrier to run a Detroit later. Welded according to the article and you may have problems earlier than I did...YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

Rene

7. MUD JUNKIE

so fully weld the spiders to the cross shaft,and to the side gears??your getting me confused /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I dont even know how to take this thing out /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Im new at 1 ton rears.

8. tRustyK5

Spiders to the cross shaft only.

Rene

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Got pics of that? Maybe even a little bit of a write up? I was thinking of welding the rear diff in my 12 bolt. But this makes me rethink how I want to do it.

10. tRustyK5

No pic's or write-up on that. I have a spare 14 bolt carrier i could use for an article but I'm not quite as confident in welded diff's as I used to be. Regardless welding a 12 bolt would be an entirely different procedure. IMHO a welded 12 bolt is a recipe for broken shafts...

Rene

11. MUD JUNKIE

sounds good Im going to try...notice I said TRY to do it this weekend,thanks