Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding the transmission case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigjblazer, Oct 12, 2004.

1. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

I have a TH350 with a crack in the case, its fairly small and about 5 inches long, can I weld the crack and keep all the fluid in? The trans was rebuilt just 5000 miles ago, so I'd like to try and save it. Thanks

-Justin

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

do you have a pic? also bet the crack is longer then 5 inches. i would just grind a V and weld it up though.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd lay 10-1 odds that if you weld it the weld will A) suck and B) cause even more cracking. Cast aluminum is a complete slut to weld, and it is somewhat porous so the weld will be contaminated with ATF as well.

Even if you could get it clean enough, and you managed not to melt down a nearby seal the case will likely crack even worse due to the rapid expansion caused by welding. The shape of the tranny case does not lend itself well to expansion and contraction caused by the welding.

If it were me I'd find another case and swap all the guts over.

Rene

4. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd lay 10-1 odds that if you weld it the weld will A) suck and B) cause even more cracking. Cast aluminum is a complete slut to weld, and it is somewhat porous so the weld will be contaminated with ATF as well.

Even if you could get it clean enough, and you managed not to melt down a nearby seal the case will likely crack even worse due to the rapid expansion caused by welding. The shape of the tranny case does not lend itself well to expansion and contraction caused by the welding.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuppers, just like Rene said, cast aluminum is tough to weld. You need to have it under the proper heat conditions, just like cast iron. That means heating it up, keeping it up( /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ), and slowly cooling it.
    Either a new case, or JB weld if that isn't a posibility.

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I agree with the below, so I wont type it again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

6. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

Thanks guys, thats just what I was lookin for. So now, anyone got a th-350 layin around?