Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding Trailer 101... time for a ck5 critique

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camiswelding, Feb 7, 2006.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

This is my second welding trailer,,, using the mistakes I made on the first one this one better fits my needs... Im close to finishing now,,, some wiring and a second knack box and it will be ready... It took me about 3 months to build it out working part time on it

It has
    A ranger 9 gas driven welder
    An LN25 GMAW box setup for both innershield and solid steel wire
    A stick electrode stinger
    250 feet of working cable,,, 250 more in storage
    A 12hp air compressor,,, just like my shop one except this ones gas,,, good for 175psi
    Reels for air and oxy acetelene
    Jerry can for gas, 5 gallon backpack fire pump, lots of fire extinguishers (here in the dry areas welders seem to start a lot of fires and burn down houses)
    Oxy/ Acetelene/ Arg-Co2 bottles
    Tool boxes with enough stuff to fab anything anywhere
    Racks that can hold 20 foot long pieces of material
    12 volt lights, 110volt floods, wired for 110v with plugs on all corners... setup to plug into external house power or the ranger 9
    The one knack box has drills/saws/tube bender etc etc etc
    The second one (not currently installed) will hold the ln25 and some welding stuff

Its wired and setup for a rear hitch to tandem tow,,, and for a handy attachment point for the bender

I still need to make a steel rear deck to weld on...

The trailer is 14 feet long, 3500 pound tandem axles with brakes on all wheels... lots of side and backup lights because at night everything seems to jump out and crash into me

I put the weight over the axles,,, it tows like its not even there

So men.... time for critique... did I miss anything???:doah:

Flame on

Welderman

ps I weighed the thing BEFORE it was outfitted,,, that saved on dmv

welding trailer1.JPG

welding trailer2.JPG

welding trailer3.JPG

welding trailer4.JPG

welding trailer5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2006
  2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Make sure you lock that up!! :bow:

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Yes its a POS, and im gonna come get it out of your way.:D

But really, that is one of the nicest rigs ive seen. Really good work. Just add a bottle opener on the fender and your ready to go.
    Two thumbs up from me.

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

yeah whats ur address so i can check it out:wink1:

5. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

deffinatly park that thing inside. looks really good and clean. did you build the actual trailer as well? looks cool.

6. camiswelding

yep... built the trailer,,, that was the hardest part....well except for like a mile of wiring.... I looked at trailer designs for months,,, my first one was single axle, 8k pound axle,,, it was scary to tow because I didnt get the weight right,,, I had used a service body and put a frame under it... some old farmer saw it and bought it immediately for a shop rig for his ranch

Theft would be a problem if I left it anywhere... the knack/tool boxes will lock up the good stuff... I used high security bolts on the bottle rack and all the bolts holding anything on are tacked.... theyd have to take my truck too... and damn if Ill ever be far from it if the trailer is hooked up
    and it stays in my shop...

I really built it to make some money fabbing locally... just ck5 stuff... it would never be out of sight

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Where will you put full 8x4 sheets of metal?

8. camiswelding

the rack up top is spaced to fit 4 x 8 sheets... with tie downs... then I can forklift them off pretty easily

good obs!!!

thanks

cam

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Real nice work and setup!...

That looks like a lot of time and effort went into it,and a fair bit of planning too!..only thing I see you could add would be sides,a roof,and a Porta-Potti.:D .---and of course the beer opener!..maybe you could use the compressor's gas motor to also run a 110v generator,if your welder lacks that feature..or a 12V GM altenator to charge batteries, and jump start other vehicles..

I have a huge 2 stage 2 cyl. air compressor with a 7.5 hp 3 phase electric motor,that puts out about 50 cfm..I tried putting a 25 hp Onan twin gas motor on it,but even that didn't seem to have enough power to run it right..it was going to be a bit complicated to make a gas engine work right on it..(and no 3 phase power available on my street,and I couldn't afford to pay the electric bill even if there was!).

I was going to make a portable sandblasting rig on a trailer out of it,but I ended up putting the electric motor back on it,and I'm going to sell it instead..I looked into the sandblasting bussiness more closely..its easy to make a lot of cash fast,but you also need to pull permits,be insured,etc..decided not to pursue it..I'd love to have it just for my own use at home,but I won't use it enough to justify making it..:crazy:

..NICE JOB on your setup though!..:laugh:

10. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If I win the lotto, Ill take that off your hands. That is dang nice!

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Looks pretty awesome!

12. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

is that a lift gate on the side?

Looks good to me!

13. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Doah! knack box, i saw the triangle and the rack rail and oops. no lift gate, still real cool though

14. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Spare Tire?

Really looks nice though sounds like you planned it out well

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That looks great.

16. camiswelding

Havent mounted a spare... yet..
    the front tongue is still wide open.... I was waiting to weigh it before I put a tire there... but seat of the pants says no problem... I could also mount one on one of the rack uprights...

Can you imagine leaving that thing on the side of the 5 freeway with one flat...when you came back everything would be gone but the flat tire

good feedback... thanks

cam

17. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Might want two spares:D

I'm curious as to its current weight, let us know when you weigh it.

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

haha for what?
    his soy milk bottles?:haha: :haha: :haha:

19. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Looks nice, damn nice, way nicer than the setup I have built around my Ranger 10-LX. Only a few things I'd add:

- Reels for welding cable - I know live reels are expensive, but with reels for air/ox/acetyl I'm sure I'd get lazy, and reels are nice to have. If not, dead reels just to wind up cable faster. I plan on making a set of my own for my rig at some point in the future (prolly after I get my miller tig setup working right)
    - transformer, so the welder can run the 12V lights around the trailer if the truck isn't hooked up/turned on
    - Lots of 120V cord & maybe a couple power strips
    - a dual 500W tripod light in case you can't get the floods close enough to the job.

That said, looks kick-ass and blows mine out of the water. I wish I could make enough with my welding rig to justify something along those lines...but for now I gotta finish up my 22' car/truck hauling trailer (based around a reinforced 4-pl snowmobile deck, towmaster T-14 axles/brakes)

Also, I'm planning on throwing some LED lights over the front of my ranger to light up the control panel at night since I do a lot of fab work after my day job, and the sun goes down pretty early here in MN, and I can run LED's off the welder battery without posing a significant drain.

20. camiswelding

led lighting is definately the schnizint way to to...

I purposefully set the rig up with a trailer connector from the tow rig to the trailer that powers its 12 volt source... (used 6 ga plugs)... this way I can use the vehicles batteries (which are wired not to go below 12 volts drain) and not have to maintain a third battery on the trailer... also keeps knuckleheads from trying to start the machines if I dont want them to do so.. and from asking if they can just borrow it for a "small job"

The ranger provides 10k /50 amps ac power...

I carry about 250 feet of 12 ga 3 gang electrical cord.. the same in single... if Im any farther then that I probably dont want to be doing that job.... I cant see fabbing on a rolled truck 500 feet down the bottom of a canyon :-)