Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding up the 14 bolt tonight

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Feb 16, 2003.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I have bit the bullet and I'm going to weld the spiders up tonight,I opted the plan of filling in the voids like mentioned on this site but after reading a post about the long term usage and how they broke after awhile (I cant think of your screen name right now but I know who you are!)
    I'm going to weld them solid to form a "Gear ball".
    preheat the gears,and cross shaft in the oven to 350degrees with the 7018 low-high 3/32" rods to dry them out,weld the gears together at about 80amps and hopefully dont get to carried away,after that place in kitty litter box and cover the gear ball all the way up,let cool slowly over night.
    I typed all this in for anyone wanting to do this to there axle(14Bff) and doesnt now how to do it. I'll post agian with how I like the welded rear,and maybe get some wheelin pics also,I have to try out my new winch and now my welded rear! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. MUD JUNKIE

tRUSTYk5 sorry could'nt think of your screen name,thanks for the long write up on your welded rear a while ago.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That was Muddin4fun's article outlining the same method I used. Glad to hear you're welding it up solid, as long as it will all come out later so a Detroit can go in at a later time it should be fine.

I didn't mind the welded rear, but now that I have a Detroit I don't think I'd go back to welded./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The Detroit is quite nice (aside from the occasional bang)

Rene

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

hehe </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    after that place in kitty litter box and cover the gear ball all the way up,let cool slowly over night

[/ QUOTE ]

SUPRISE KITTY!

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I have run both ways and I like the welded rear better than Detroit.Didn't mind the clunk,just didn't like the way they shift from understeer to oversteer when you gas it or let up.The Detroit shock loads the axles worse too,harder on the splines. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

Welded has it's down sides too...more tire wear and pretty annoying in tight quarters. You get used to it, just like driving with a Detroit.

Locker induced lane change can be exciting!/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rene

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I like the welded so far. I have gotten used to it and it isn't to bad. I have heard that the weld like the article has some longevity problems, but I will see how long they will last. Right now I only have 32's so it should hold ok. I carry and extra set of unwelded spiders just in case.

On road they aren't to bad. People look at you weird in parking lots and turing tight corners, but its no biggy. I have been with FortCollinsRam in his truck with the Detroit and I can say I didn't like the jerk and bang when it engaged and disengaged. I am sure his is worse then mine would be as he has a 465, but I still didn't like the road manner. The welded is predictable.

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

MY rear is 10.25 Sterling{got it for$50}Its been welded for over a year now and no probs with 16x 38.5 TSLs.This rear has been overlooked by a lot of folks just because Ford makes it,but,It's got 35spline axles,huge bearings and large windows in carrier to weld in.It's got more clearance than a shaved 14B too and the brake hubs pull off without pulling bearings.Was looking for 14FF and this was too cheap to pass up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, they are good rearends. My dads F350 has one and it is pretty stout. I has handled the 460 without a problem for over 100K miles. Even with me driving and giving it all that 460 has. I have roasted those rear tires a number of times, and drive it hard with no problems. It has a TIGHT factory limited slip in it and it has done pretty well. The factory LS in that with 100K was tighter then my Auburn in my old 10 bolt with only 20K. It was almost a true locker, but I could get it to spin some if I tried hard enough.

10. MUD JUNKIE

DONE!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    took about 2 hours most of the time being taking it apart(never done it before) I did the test of stregth by keeping it in 2 wheel holding the brake and gas.....both tire spun me all the way donw in the dirt outside my garage,then I used my free winch to pull me out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif! this is just a temp deal until I can afford a detroit,thanks guys!

11. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Did you take any pics? Id like to see it welded up. Im trying to decide whether to weld it solid or space the welds like Rene did. How is it on the street?

12. tRustyK5

Go solid. The method I used left me with cracked side gears after 2 years./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

13. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Is there a write-up anywhere showing them welded solid? I hopefully wont be running this for 2 year, just till this summer.

14. tRustyK5

Maybe MUD JUNKIE took some pic's??/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

15. MUD JUNKIE

sorry I did'nt take pics I did'nt have my camera.
    this is how I did it
    1. take the damm thing apart I say the damm thing cause its heavy and fell on my leg while it was coing out of the axle /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    2. split the case and clean the side gears,spiders,and cross shaft in paint thinner in bucket
    3. preheat oven(no seriously) and put spiders,side gears and cross shaft in on about 400
    4.after the stuff got really hot(I mean thats hot,my welding gloves got real hot)
    5.took one part of the carrier and put 1 side gear in
    6.placed spiders on cross shaft with the little shims
    7.placed the stuff on the side gear and tack welded all four spiders with 3/32" 7014 rods at 75 amps
    8.turn them over and tack the other side with them in the side gear
    9.then weld spiders fully all the way around on the cross shaft
    10.place the other side gear on top of the spiders and cross shaft and then weld the side gear to the spiders
    11.pop it out and then flip it over
    12.weld last side gear to the spiders and cross shaft
    13.place gear ball in kitty litter over night or till it cools completely (mine took most the day 12 hours) 14.after it cools put together then replace back in axle reverse the way you took it out.

remember heat is an enemy,the more heat the more it warps
    this is why you preheat it.
    any questions feel free to ask /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.....junkie

16. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

17. MUD JUNKIE

I flunked on my instuctions I used 7018 rods NOT 7014
    Yes the whole topic started on Florida4x4.com a great great site! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

18. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Florida4x4.com a great great site!

[/ QUOTE ] Were trying hard to make it a decent place for southern wheelers. Now if we can just get some of the registered lurkers to speak up......