Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding with a computer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Jan 15, 2005.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I think I read somewhere that you had to disconnect the computer when you weld on the chassis to prevent an arc in the computer. Has anyone else heard this? It would be a PITA to disconnect everytime I need to weld.

Also, I am going to run a temp sensor in the transmission cooler line. I have found some brass fittings that I will use, but one connection will need to be brazed. There is no thread contact, just one piece on top of another. Will this be strong enough to hold under pressure, or does there need to be a positive brass to brass contact? Ive got brazing rods and flux. I will route the connection somewhere around the core support so it wont get knocked by anything.

Thanks.
    Randy

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Disconnecting the computer is way less hassle than buying a new computer. ;) And yes, welding can create some nasty spikes in your electrical system. It's much better to be safe than sorry. :cool1:

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Computers don't make good welding machines... :D

All you need to do is disconnect the battery and you'll be fine.

Rene

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I agree with Harry. Disconnect the computer, and think about disconnecting the distributor as well. I have fried an ignition module welding.

I think you will be ok with brazing, but if you can, I would use silver solder instead. Used a lot on high pressure refrigerant lines, and would be very durable for the transmission line. With that said, I have had very good success using brass compression fittings on transmission lines (my transmission temperature guage kit came with a compression fitting) and power steering lines.

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Disconnect the battery and place the welder ground near the spot to be welded that will close the circuit and keep the electrical flow to a minimum traveling distance.