Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding with jumper cables????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Jan 21, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Someone told me that with good jumper cables hooked up to a battery with a good altenator, you could put a small welding rod in the clamp and weld with it on the trail. True? I do a LOT of welding and have a hard time seeing someone getting enough power through jumper cables to weld.
    WTF is this all about?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've heard it does better with two battery's. I hope to never have to try it though.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

You need 2 bateries, and yes you can do it. The welds usually look like something that came out of my nose, but it will get you home. You can contol the ammount of amperage by using different length jumper cables between the two bateries. I have a Ready Welder and its my only welder, and that is how i contol amperage, i use different patch cables between the bateries. You can use up to 3 batts, but then you start getting uber-penetration.

4. rjfguitar

I just asked my dad about it and also said it works. That is pretty damn cool...

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have done it. I used two batteries and some 70 series rod. It worked but was by far my worst looking weld ever. Probably the weakest also.

6. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Bobby,

I've done it and it works without a hitch.

Here is the deal. 3 Batteries hooked up in series, Positive to negative, positive to negative, the one to the rod the other to the frame. I carry tow sets of jumber cables and some 60 series rod. Do not forget to have a helmet. We have used this method to weld up a broken frame, and the welds are as clean looking as a arc welder at home. It works and works good, just carry a few diffrent rods, and it's a cheap way to carry a welder with you. It's really cool to try if you get a chance, but you gota be good at stick welding.

I bought some cheap welding goggles from Harbor freight, and some cheap rods, and put them in a plastic container and the stay clean and unused, and ready to use.

Rob

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Like Rob said. I got to looking at Tye's frame where we fixed it on the trail, and the weld looks really good to this day /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. rjfguitar

I am going to try it just for fun! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I am a good stick welder...prefer it over a mig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I saw MacGyver do it with a nickel once. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I dont know about short circuting your charging system and your computer and radio are somewhere hooked in to the battery too.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

They also make Mig welders that run on 24V Battery power.
    This is a delux model and kind of high priced but I have seen more basic ones under $250.
    northerntool.com 24V dc welder