Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding with straight argon...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 22, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I forget what happens when you weld with straight argon. Usually I use a 75/25 mix of argon and CO2, but I just went to lay down a simple tack and realized I am completely out of 75/25(2 tanks on 2 welders, both empty at the same time :mad: ). So I grabbed the little bottle of straight Argon dad had for aluminum welding and laid the beads I needed to. Sounded slightly different then I'm used to, but I've also been practicing welding a lot and am welding much better then I used to.

So is there any adverse effect of running straight argon when welding mild steel?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't think it'd be a problem. Can't say I've ever used straight argon for MIG steel though. Usually run 92/8 at work though.

Rene

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Welds all look fine, plenty of penetration, so I guess all is fine. Off to mount the shackles finally and get an axle under the S-Dime :D

4. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

co2 or helium is used to speed up the weld. so you can lay a bead down a little faster. runs a little hotter with co2 or helium. i run straight argon and mild steel, aluminum, and stainless. its just a little slower. and not as hot.