Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding! WoooHoooo!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tweetysuarus, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Man O' Man! If I only knew just how easy this whole MIG welding was along time ago /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, I would have purchased a MIG setup along time ago! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifIceman showed me how easy it was /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, And I was skeptical at first,But I gave it a try and found it easy. Just a little practice and I'll be building my own bumpers and shock relocation brackets, maybe even my own cage if I buy a tube bender! Man am I so stoked! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanx Iceman!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifThanx,
    Bill

2. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Congrats man.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

MIG welding is fun and easy. Just make sure you have a really clean, rust free surface to work with. It doesnt seem to like rust too well. I had really clean welds on my exhaust pipes and it was my very first time to do any welding.

4. Tweetysuarus

I'm seeing this! Kool!
    Bill

5. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

Make sure you're using good wire, like ER80S7, and do some coupons before you trust your welding on anything life supporting, like suspension, brakes, or roll bars. Welcome to the welder's club, expect to have a bunch of new, better "friends", you know, those guys who need some welding done. Oh, and make sure your helmet, gloves, and clothes FULLY protect you when welding. If you are getting ANY type of "sunburn" like incidents, be aware that the intense ultraviolet rays will eat you alive, like 100 suns. Skin cancer, eye cancer, and blindness suck. Read "High Performance Welding" by Richard Finch, it's available from HP Books, for about $10.

6. Tweetysuarus

Kool, Thanx for the info as for the PPE's, I'm a firm believer in them! Back in the 80's I got a piece of slag shot down the back of my Hi-top tennis shoes, talk about hot foot! I was dancing all over the shop! LOL! Now I can laugh about it, then it wasn't funny or fun!
    Bill

7. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

ive been weldin for a while and make sure you break a few of your welds in a press or something to make sure youre welding right its very easy to think you have a good weld with a mig because it welds very smooth but you can have slim to no penetration so just make sure you have good strong welds before you weld or fabricate any load bering.

8. Tweetysuarus

I'll do alot of practicing on scrap pieces for a while til I know its right from other welders.
    Thanx,
    Bill