Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eightyone, Jan 3, 2005.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

im about to go weld up an exaust on my friends car, any pointers? its already on the car, so it gunna be a pain to get tot he top. ill be using a mig with gas. thanks for any help.

2. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

for welding in blind spots, like on top and against frame rails , use a small mirror

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

exhaust tubing is pretty easy to weld with a gas mig, have fun with the sparks flying on ya :xmas:

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Just in my opinion, it might be worth the extra effort to take the exhaust right off so you can weld 360* without missing a spot that will cause trouble down the road. Are you replacing the whole exhaust or just a end piece?

5. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

we did end up ubolting it from the manifold, and welding it on a bench. then we slipped it back in like butter...nicest thing ive evere done.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

FWIW if you ever need to weld on a car or truck again disconnect the battery first. The welding current can mess up the computer or even the alternator...

Rene

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Rene's Right!!

Yeah,dont do what I did--weld a new tailpan on my van under the rear doors...then start it up and turn on the radio,and hear your 150 dollar 300 watt amplifier squeal like a stuck pig,and belch out a big cloud of smoke!:blush: :blush: --I'm suprised my 15 inch woofers didnt burst into flames!--I guess amps dont like arc welders--I have toasted an altenator and several bulbs by forgetting to dissconnect the battery too--:blush: --I swear I'm gettin senile already--its bad enough to do something stupid--but to do it more than once must mean brain damage has occurred...:doah: :doah: :screwy: :angry1:

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So all you have to do is disconnect the battery to weld?

9. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Remember to unhook your battery! Since you would have to hook up the ground for your mig.:blush: Also if you are welding near your gas tank shield it somehow from the sparks, and have a fire extinguisher nearby.