Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Welding

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by johnathan, May 27, 2006.

1. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

I install floor covering,and after 7 yrs.I'm really just sick,bored with it.I make 14 an hour now.I just got my GED and I want to go to school for welding,just wondrin what the pay was like? I've always wanted to work with metal,think I would enjoy it.

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

7 years to get to $14...you should ask for a raise!

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I went to a job interview at a crane company a month or so ago for a welding position, and they were starting at $13.xx/hr with benefits and a raise to $14.xx after 90 days.

4. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

learn to do tig welding. its a more difficult process which means less people know how to do it, which means you will get paid more for doing it. you can apply it to just about anything you want to build too. you can make bad a$$ exhaust systems, ducting for turbo chargers, and a greater majority of structural applications. this is the type of welding i do professionally and its the best job ive ever had. theres no smoke and sparks blowing all over my face and body because theres no flux to deal with. i guess what i'm trying to say is that i highly recommend leaning to tig weld. i currently build stainless steel gates and handrails for high end homes and businesses and i meet a lot of really cool people. we're constantly at movie star's houses in hollywood and beverly hills. best job ever.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd also get some schooling on fitting and fabricating. Unless you're talking about welding exotic materials, a fabricator will out earn a welder pretty much everywhere. To create something from scratch is pretty cool...to weld that part is not nearly as much of a challenge.

Rene

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im a welder, as in i reweld the welds when the robot doesn't do it right (burnthough, length, mis position, burrs, etc) i would rather fabricate than just weld. i make $8.50 hr, but ive only been there for not even 2 months. i have no formal training and no on the job welding experiance.