Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rusty79, Dec 14, 2001.

1. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

trying to find out how i could go about learning to weld and the local tech school has welding as a 2 year course and i dont think i need all that didnt think welding was that complex

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If you are going to weld at a ship yard the course may come in handy. The way I learned was through a school, but I worked at a ship yard...see the proof in the pudding there.... I have taught many people to weld, or at least get them started.

If you know someone who knows how to weld and show you the very basics you can learn to lay beads in about an hour. The thing you need to learn the most is about the heat setting and wire speed (if you have a mig welder). Trial and error is ok. if you are going to be welding on automotive stuff go to a junk yard and get an old fender or something of the like and practice on it. Pick up some scrap steel of different thickness and try welding them together. A small 110 volt 120 amp mig welder is an affordable way to go and will weld almost anything you need to weld on a vehicle up to about 3/16 ich thick.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

3. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

Community College --- I am now taking the first class (just took the final -- A+). During this class I learned Oxy/Acty first because it shows how running a bead works and how to control the pool of molten metal. They then touched on brazing and finally Arc welding and MIG. The cool thing is toward the second half of the semester we were able to do projects. I was able to weld on some driving light mounts on my bumper and start on my rock sliders. The second class, Advanced Welding, is almost all projects. So, for the cost of a new Ranch Hand front and rear bumper I am learing the trade and have full access to the schools fabrication tools (and the have some COOL STUFF) - lathes, saws, drill presses, sand blasters, etc..... and am able to make what I need. I get all my materials at cost, I have classmates to help with the heavy stuff, and I do it all myself. I also plan on making a transfer case shield, driveshaft loops, installing the ORD P/S braces, and a few there things. It may take some time out of your day but there are so many advantages. The tech schools are run a little differently I think, the CC courses are more casual with more contact between teacher and student.

Just my $.02

So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can probably take one of the beginning welding classes that they offer. Its not like you need to go for the whole two years...the long course is likely for getting certified in different types of welding.

Yes, welding IS that complex depending on what you are welding and with what. But basic MIG welding isn't that difficult.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Yeah, if you really want to take a class, either find a different school that has a "basic" type class, or go and talk to the tech school people about just taking MIG. I took night classes in high school at the local tech colledge, I took oxy/acetelyne (18 wks), arc 1, (18 wks), and MIG (9 wks). They really encouraged taking the classes in sequence, but were willing to work with people who weren't so much wanting to be certified, and just wanted to learn to do stuff for themselves.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Do what I did:
    1. Buy a decent mig welder ( I bought the Lincoln sp100 and I like it, but would buy the next model up if I were to do it again)
    2. Get the Richard Finch Welding book
    3. Find a local gas supplier
    4. Run some practice beads
    5. Remember that you are only welding in the floor boards, not fabricating a life saving part of the space shuttle.

Granted, I had done a little bit of welding before, but not enough to really count. I just hate to be reliant upon someone else to get things done, especially when that someone else wants to charge me big bucks to do it. Of course I stop short of (-: most :-) dental or medical procedures

Mig is really quite easy to learn and you can likely get the machine and the steel for less than the cost of having someone do it for you.

John

7. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

John:

I like the way you think. I just bought a mig welder from Lowes this week. I'm going to try to steel some time this weekend to figure out how to use it. First have to put it together. I'm transplanted from South Texas/Louisiana to Omaha, NE this year. I also end up having to do a lot myself cause I hate to pay someone to do a poor job for too much money. I'll post something next week to let you know how my welding turned out.

If you kiss your honey, and her nose is runny
    you may think it's funny, but itsnot

8. chevyracing

Cookin'
    I do like the simple approach to things, and once you get the practice in and figure out that heat warps steel it is gravy from there.

John

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If they were smart, they'd let you pay a fee to come in and use their equipment even if you weren't taking a class ; )

Really sucks to know how to use that stuff, yet not have access to it.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

10. TwoCrowsDesign

Don't you wish you could find someone to let you use their tubing bender? Sheet metal brake? I could really have some fun.

John

11. TwoCrowsDesign

Hey Cookin'

I come from that part of the country as well, sent you a PM

John

12. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

well i was just talking to one of my coworkers about trying to weld and come to find out he used to be a steel worker he offered to show me how to do some wire feed welding (mig?) so i may go buy a welder or ask for one for christmas i need something with enough power to make some bumpers and patch holes in my floor dont thing im gonna get into welding on my frame that just makes me nervous but if i can find one that can do steel that thick relativly cheap once im comfortable with it ill give it a whirl!

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

13. TwoCrowsDesign

Yup, wire feed, mig, gmaw - all mean the same thing. You can also do flux cored wire which does not require gas, but is more expensive wire. You can get a nice 110 volt mig for under $500. Gas will cost around $100 for the first bottle and $20-30 each refill. Solid wire runs, I think around $6-8 for 2lb roll, flux core more like $12 per 2 lb.

Once you get the basics down, you'll discover all kinds of things that you want to make. My wife wants some steel tube bar stools?! What's up with that? I got a bumper to build.

John

14. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I do it every day at work weld would rather be doing other stuff but there is only 3 of us that can tig aluminium and they need all 3 of us 6 days a week. I've only learned mig and tig, and I have a mig at home. The mig welders just go by the suggestion on the inside to get you in the ballpark and remember DON"T LEAVE YOUR WELD BEHIND. Meaning take your time and push the puddle along

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>

15. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

i thought the electric welders didnt need gas is that true or all of them need gas cuz i was hoping to get by cheaper than a 600$ start if i need /want to upgrade later i wouldnt mind

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

16. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

i thought the electric welders didnt need gas is that true or all of them need gas cuz i was hoping to get by cheaper than a 600$ start if i need /want to upgrade later i wouldnt mind

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

17. chevyracing

the mig ones can run Flux core wire, it doesn't need gas that way. If you will be welding outside with a mig (metal inert gas) welder then I would suggest flux core wire. If you weld inside where there is not any breeze I would use gas, makes a much purer and cleaner weld.

John

18. TwoCrowsDesign

Checkout Harbor Freight, you can find a wire-only off brand (chicago Electric) machine for around $200 and you wouldn't need gas. I don't think you'll get much cheaper than that.

John

19. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

it wouldnt really matter i can always roll the truck outta the garage you know anyplace where i could start looking at prices to get an idea of how much ill have to spend or some good models to look for?

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

20. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

You can you those wire feed welder (mig) and just spend the extra money on the flux cored wire. Then in a couple of years spend the money for the regulator and tank but make sure it has the connection for gas on the back, I'm preaty sure all of them come with it. Flux cored wire is better for outside welding or windy location. gas blows away and you can't weld right

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>