Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

welding

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MUD JUNKIE, Sep 21, 2002.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about going to tech school to become a welder,does anybody here weld? the local tech school offers a nice looking welding/fabrication class I was looking into but is this a good way to make any money? any sugestions??

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

You can make good money, especially if you are willing to travel.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It can be good money...it just depends on what part of the industry you end up working. Generally anything to do with transport or trucks pays middle of the road and can be flat out boring. Construction type work pays better and then any specialized type of work usually pays the best.

It is fairly dirty physical work, and somewhat dangerous depending on the work environment...

Rene

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Around here, the only way to make money is on trucks. Big rigs, trash trucks, dump trucks, excavators etc... we don't do much construction that includes welding....

we sure do pay our welder big $$ to come fix our idiot employees screw ups

Brandy

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Check into Tampa Ship Yards Justin. My brother in law (worthless POS) used to work there a long time ago. Ive always heard they pay good. They will prob even train you. Welding isnt all that hard IMO. I learned to ARC weld back in HS, and MIG weld shortly after that. havent had the opportunity to TIG yet. Its mostly having access to the equiptment and playing w/ it and having someone that will tell you what your doing wrong.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You can make great money if you're good. I always wanted to check into the underwater welding thing. They make a ton of $$ but it's one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. A friend of mine does it. He works for a company the does work on oil platforms and stuff. He travels all over and works on some pretty killer equipment. He has told me some pretty wild stories. He works about 4-5 months out of the year and still pulls in six figures. He's an adrenaline junky big time, smart as hell too. He should be an engineer or something, but he loves his job. Hell, I'd love to have 6 months or so off every year!