Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

well- 4.5 hours later....the outcome was......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudNurI, Mar 8, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

MY TRUCK IS HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we started with the combo valve-- fluid was pouring out of it with no problems- wacked it a few times with the wrench- tightened them back down......the front bleeder screws were pretty rusty- soaked them down- and went to the rear to start the manual bleeding again....fluid comes out them fine- but not with any force...

So my brilliant idea to use the vacume pump thing- of course "thats not gonna work"...BAAAAAAa hooked it up- did the RR 7-8 times- filled the canister up with fluid- went to the left- same thing 7-8 times filled it up....jumped in the truck- and my brake light had gone off! YEAH somethings workin...drive the truck around the yard- very spongy pedal- 3/4 the way to the floor till it grabs...okay- back to the vacume pump...did both lines again- then did them with the pedal....back around the yard- pedal is now about 1/2 way down...okay it's gettin better....few more times with the pedal bleed- and now its just above 1/2 ...still not where it belongs- but hey- the truck stops!

Drove it down to the car wash- cleaned it up-brought it home- and it's back in its spot.

Now that I can drive it "safely" im going to call the brake shop Monday and see if I can get it pressure bled...the front needs to be bled- but we cant get the bleeders out- so they can deal with that....

2 more clamps to put on to keep the lines from rubbing against the frame- and its done.

Tomorrow I've got to set the timing- and adjust the carb...and then it's all set to go......oh- and those 2 body mounts that are missing- I gotta get those installed ...

But - thats how my day went- and I didnt drive it off a cliff! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Brandy

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Good to hear the truck is still in one piece.

And you thought changing the brake lines was gonna be easy.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

just an FYI....the calipers my bleeders screw into were only $12.00 a peice plus a core charge. It maybe worth it just to replace them. just my .02

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

As long as you don't accidentally drive over a cliff on the way to the brake shop.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifGlad to hear it came together.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Have you adjusted the rear brakes out far enough??? If there is no resistance the brake fluid is not going to be under much pressure. If the shoes are adjusted out "well" into the drum they will force more pressure on the brake cylinder and the fluid oughta shoot out of the adjusting screw. I was having kind of the same problem as you and I cranked the brakes out. I got all kinds of air bubbles out. Good Luck, hope it all works out ok. Brakes are scary..........

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You won't get a firm pedal until you can bleed the front brakes. Swapping in rebuilt front calipers may be cheaper than the power bleed. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

That's my plan- after reading the $$ of calipers....Going to see if they have them in stock tomorrow- only 1 parts store is open here on Sunday so it's slim pickings.

BTW Harry- got the interior light wires today- THANK YOU!!!!!! It sure is appreciated! No more using my mag light when I need to see something.

Brandy

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Being a fellow Yankee, I'm am all too familiar with the "rusted bleeder" syndrome. I won't help anybody with brakes unless they understand that the bleeders might break and the calipers may need to be replaced.

Now I have had best luck with a 6 point deep well socket, a hand impact driver, and MAPP torch. Clean all around the bleeder with a wire brush and use your favorite penetrant. Heat the caliper (around the bleeder) as much as you dare; remember they are seals in there. Cross your fingers, grab your socket/impact and give it a small rapp with a hammer.

If that didn't work and the bleeder decided to shear off instead of unscrew, consider you did your best. Any more is not worth your time IMHO, as calipers are relatively cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif