Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, bought a BBC..... lots of pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by white-rhyno, Jan 5, 2005.

1. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Well,

I never thought i would have a BBC, but for a complete 375hp 454 out of a 71 chevelle for 500 bucks, i couldnt say no. It ran when my boss took it out of the car, had it hot tanked and checked for cracks, all good. Its a virgin block, no work has been done to it. Still unsure if i want to just hone it and throw it back together, or go all out. Either way im sick of this "not having enough power". Ill toss around some ideas and get it in later this year.

There are allot of you guys with BBC's out there, what do you think???

Here are way to many pics of it......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Very nice. I'm jealous:D Roller cam too!

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

very nice :D hope to have one soon to :cool1:

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

!

I'm Jealous!

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I think with those closed chamber heads you better buy some pistons with lower compression or you'll be needing to run race gas :blush:
    otherwise...good score:laugh:

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i would have passed on it personally

i would never buy an apart engine, ever,

i would have put 1/2 or so of that $ into a 350 or 400

good luck with it

7. white-rhyno

the motor that is in my truck currently was kinda the same deal, got a free short block and some cheap tbi heads. At least then you know exactly whats in there. And putting 250 bucks into a small block dont get ya very far. But to each his own.

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Sounds like a good deal to me. :deal: Did you get all the brackets and such with it? If not, that might set you back another $100 or so.

Trust me, after you drive it the first time you wont go back to a small block. ;)

9. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Nice score

1. which pistons does it have? If you have a big dome .25 or so you MAY want to swap to an open port head to drop some compression... Depends on that big cam.(I've got some 781s that are fresh with 2.19/1.88s I'd like to swap for a closed chamber).:D

2. what are the specs on the cam? duration @.050, lift, and L/S. Don't be afraid of big cams in a bb with enough compression, they handle them much better than an sbc. Nice intake too...

3. I wouln't hessitate buying a dissasembled engine. No suprises. Guess knowing how to put one together makes a diference?

10. white-rhyno

Exactley, no surprizes...
    As far as the cam specs, i have no idea, ill probably end up giving that away, i dont need that much cam. Its huge. To bed honest with, i can put together a motor from a short block, and put it in, as far as putting it back together correctly, ill let somebody that builds them for a living do that. But thats just me. I have watched and helped put together many motors from scratch, im just not interested in doing it on my own.

oh wait
    Adv. Duration: 316°/320°
    Gross Lift: .722''/.722''
    RPM Range: 4400-8000
    Lunati 50225 Roller Cam #16446

11. white-rhyno

well a little more info

66201-16 CROWER BBC ROLLER LIFTERS $336.95

EDL-7561
    Intake Manifold, Carbureted, Aluminum, Natural, Dual Plane, Chevy, Big Block, Each
    $231.95

i think that $500 sounds even better yet

12. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The camshaft is VALUABLE! A roller cam will not wear like a flat tappet, I would post the cam, lifters, push rods and valve springs up for sale at speed shops and such. You can probably get 1/3~1/2 of the cost of the motor back.

FYI - in case you didn't already know or catch it the push rods and valve springs will need to be swapped too. The push rods are shorter and the springs will have too much seat pressure for a regular cam.

13. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Seeing they are new in the box, and I don't see any springs on the heads, and the heads still have the light duty 5/16" guideplates id bet this has never been together. The cam and lifters should get you close to ALL of your money back.

Post them here: http://www.bremertonraceway.com/
    and here: http://members5.boardhost.com/bsaltmayer/
    for a possible local sale, or there's always ebay...

14. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

Wow..That cam would have to go. That's for a light, dragstrip only or serious street machine. Obviously solid rollers. You can still use the lifters, but a cam around .550-.570 lift and advertised duration in the 280 range would give you a more usable range with good torque and power while still making the sound that gets you noticed. Still needs gears, maybe 2200-2500 stall with auto. Keep the LSA 112/114 to keep some bottom end. Needless to say, that's not a towing setup. Just makes a fun toy. If you tow, keep the adv duration around 260/268, use a converter for towing. A loose converter will bake in a hurry. I'm sure you'll get lots of responses.

15. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Well, if ya ever decide to bump down the compression and go to open chamber heads... let me know. :D I'm in the market for some closed chamber ones. What do ya want for the cam too if you don't use it?

Good score too. I sold a 396 bored .060 over that needed to be rebuilt again minus heads for $200 cause someone wanted that casting block. I bet I'd know guys over here who'd be all over that block, especially cause it's standard.

I love big blocks. :cool1:

16. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Nice work honky. I am sure that Dave or Shannon will help you stick it back together! Dave probably has a pile of BBC stuff sitting around from his old Camaro...:rolleyes:

17. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

not bad, seeing a motor that is apart has it advantages, heads, cylender walls, cam condtion, carbon build up ect

for 500 bucks you did fine for a one that has not been bored, I have had, bought, and sold a bunch of big blocks already. Sold from 200.00 to 1500.00, and bought from 200.00 to 600.00. Did you get brackets, pulleys and acc too? If so you did real good.

my best gold mine so far is an ls6 big block, you will love the difference with a big block, not to mention there is just something about seeing one under the hood, makes people giddy and smile like little kids!:saweet:

once ya go big block ya never go back! " unless you blow it":ignore:

just get some some work done to get the heads to flow, throw a cam in the bad boy and enjoy the rumble!:D

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

What kind of gun did you use??

500 BUCKS!!--I'd say you got a good deal on it!--as other said,selling off the roller cam you dont need will help offset the cost of the rest of the motor..

I dont usually buy engines that are dissasembled either,but one advantage is you can inspect everything for cracks,wear,and any other defects--all the engines I've bought assembled and running always seem to end up apart for something anyway,like a timing chain or oil pump,or head gaskets---one disadvantage is sometimes a few hard to find brackets or parts get lost in the shuffle when someone else takes it apart,and you have to hunt down that elusive part--

But thats small potatoes when you get the complete motor for a reasonable price!--as for buying a big block anywhere,apart or assembled,you wont see many for any less than 500 around here--at swap meets I see 454 bare blocks selling for nearly that much--the last 454 I saw at a swap meet in CT was going for 800 bucks complete,and it looked like it was at the bottom of the atlantic ocean,all crusty and rusty--the seller said"it turns over!"--looked like a basket case to me!(and it was the ONLY one there as far as I could see)....:frown1: --Big blocks arent really THAT rare,but finding one for less than a grand for a runner is pretty hard to do nowadays--they arent making any more of the older style ones(pre-86) unless GM still has the "targetmaster" ones available..:crazy:

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Get a nice camshaft and I'd slap it back together. No idea what compression that is, me I'd just put a little race gas in and top her off with 93 :D

20. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Looks like you did well. Nice Score!