Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well, finally got the two cucvs to run. more ??ANYONE PLEASE HELP

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, May 14, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Not sure what the chance is, but it looks like the GM sold me bad relays. Got a cheap one for 20 bucks from a part store and they both start up now. This is what i dont get. I hear a click when i turn the key on and no other ones after that. 12v at the top and then out the bottom, but it never cycles down. I thought that 12v in the top cycle down and 0 out the bottom to know that the glow plugs are off. From what the metter said 12v out the bottom all the time. So i think my gp are staying on. So now what the heck could it be? this must be my 100th post about my starting problems. i think i am getting closer.....

as aways any help would be great. thx!!:bow::bow:

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  2. 84CUCV

anyone i need this done..........

3. 84CUCV

this is the last thing i need to do and i can put the k5 back on the road. thx

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  4. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

you need to get the GP controller on a manual switch. the small (blue if I remember correctly, I'll have to check mine when I get off of work) wire attached to the small blade of the relay just needs to be connected to a momentary on switch, then take the other wire off of the switch and run it to a good ground.

then all you have to do is hold the button in as long as the wait light is on, just remember to let go of the button before you crank the engine. the extra voltage from the alternator charging the batteries can be enough to fry GP's.

you should come over to our MV forum. www.steelsoldiers.com
    we cater to all kinds of Military Vehicles, have special sections for different era trucks (including the CUCV) and membership is free.

5. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I thought that's what the glow plug controller was for:confused::confused::confused:

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah but sometimes it doesn't work and it's easier to bypass it than fix it.
    I had the same proteblem and if it's a pre 84 I definitely do that. 84 and up the system is not too bad and I would probably try and fix it.
    Now on a CUCV it's even worse because of the 24/12volt issues so I would definitely go manual switch.