Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well... found some rust. Need advice on how to procede.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NJ SAR Guy, Apr 25, 2000.

1. NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy Registered Member

Well, so much for the pipe dream that I paid $5000 for a rust free body and straight crack free frame. Today I pulled the carpet to start preping for the bedliner. And I found a rot hole next to the tail gate and fuel filler neck. I knew that the fuel filler neck shell had some rust when I bought the truck, but the actuall HOLE is several inches away from the neck shell in the truckbed itself. Also, some surface rust in the dead center of the bed, but it can be sanded down probably.
    Here' my options:
    1) Cut out a piece of the bed from a junk yard blazer and weld it in ( I already know where there's a perfect donor).
    Then cover the top with the bed liner like I origionaly intended and cover the bottom with rubber undercoating. AFTER I have removed all rust I can find.
    2) Buy a new rear floor pan from JC Whitney or somewhere. (Expensive)
    3) Construct a new floor pan. There's a metal shop near here that carries diamond cut steel and aluminum. I'm thinking of getting a diamond cut aluminum floor pan and welding it in in place of the old one. Then using the bed liner in the front half of the truck. and since it's aluminum anyway, it won't rust and I can still hose the truck out without worrying about rust.
    Other advantage of custom building a floor pan is that I can put additional mounts in the floor so that I can carry two rear seats. One in the stock position, another (from another blazer) behind it, rear facing.

Opinions? Please, don't hold back.

NJ SAR Guy

Please excuse all of my misspelled wurds.

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>OK, first of all, your NOT getting a rust free body here in NJ, unless it came from down south. Where in nj are you? I'm in Bergen CO. and there's a guy in the Hackensack area that sells large peices of sheetmetal. We used it to make floor patches for a CJ7 last fall (I drove it while the motor in my truck was out). It was cheap too, I think it was only $12.

P.S. do you know any good, legal trails? I'm going to the Sheraton trails Thursday, but they aren't good when it's dry.

3. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

check out por15.com. i will be trying this in a couple of weeks. it is pretty cheap if it works. i figure i would give it a try, and if it didn't work,i will be doing some cuttin and welding. check out another post that talks about rust; there was a lot of good info.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

4. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Another option, depending on how big the hole is. I had a similar problem with mine, and all I did was fiberglass it in. The repair is pretty strong, and I added rubberized undercoating on the bottom, and Herculined the inside. Now you can't even tell there was a problem. Hope this helps.

5. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

sounds like you know what to do already, now you have to ask yourself, how much do i want to spend?
    your option #1 seems like the cheapest route. thats all i did to money pit. i cut out the rust and welded in a piece of patch panel. it didnt even line up right, but after some body work and poly liner stuff you cant tell.

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

J.C.Whitney has replacement panels for the whole back of the Blazer. I will be installing them in May.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

7. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i know a guy who diamond plated his bed. it was the strongest bed ive ever seen, but it added about 500 pounds to the truck, and the suspension has never been right since.

8. NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy Registered Member

Actually, the place I'd be getting it from had Diamond Plate Aluminum. I'd probably be using that (thinest grade too 1/4 inch, I think.) instead of steel. Did this guy diamondplate OVER old metal or did he replace it? Was it thicker, steel, what's the story?

NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy

Please excuse all of my misspelled wurds.