Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Well guys, I've sold all my trucks BUT...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Oct 18, 2004.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Well guys, I\'ve sold all my trucks BUT...

Just like the subject reads! Well guys, I've sold all my trucks <font color="red">BUT I can't shake the bug!</font> I should have known better. So today I paid up my membership which was expired for about 2 months, and started hunting for a good truck to DD and trail run. The key this time around will be to keep the damn thing streetable. I had (easily) dumped over $25000 into the hobby with the last K5, and there was still a lot left to go. My biggest complaint about the k5 was that is was so friggin HUGE that it was just gonna get hammered anywhere I took it on the Jeep trails around here... SO...

I'm looking into picking up one of the following:

1. Jeep Wrangler (I found a 95 4-banger for about $2k already w/2" + 31s)
    2. A Yota 4Runner... prolly a 2nd gen (early 90s). I think they look SICK decked out.
    3. A Cherokee, but this one concerns me since it really has no frame, but there is more room inside for the family.

Anyways... I just wanted to say that I'm still out here as a resource to everyone, and hope you guys still have some use for the content on my website, some of the knowledge in my head and my company around a camp fire. DAMN I need to get to a camp fire!

Hope y'all don't mind me hangin around if I'm not going to have a heavy Chevy for wheelin purposes. If its any consolation, my wife drives a 99' Express van! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Thanks guys!

-Dan

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Re: Well guys, I\'ve sold all my trucks BUT...

welcome back.

i don't how you were planning on shaking that bug because i know i couldn't if i tried.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have to agree with you, it's hard to stay away from this sport!!! Did what you did last December. Only lasted a few months and i had a 91 Toy p/u that I have been slowly getting wheelable. Hopefully it will be done come February or so! Toys are nice cause there is a big following behind them. But 90's runners can still be a little pricey.... Got my 91 p/u in trade for a set of 35's i had laying around doign nothing. LOL.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Jeeps are nice too, but the Wranlger may be a bit small if you are leaning towards a runner or XJ. I have a friend here that may sell his YJ for about $3k with a 4" lift and 33s... It needs some body TLC. Not sure if he is still thinking of selling it or not. And XJ's are cool too. Check out the guys from the Off Road General Store. They are big XJ guys!!!

4. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

welcome back! i would do the cherokee. there are lots fo lift options for those also. they look pretty tuff also! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i bought a cherokee as a trail rig a few weeks ago. theres a lot of things you can do to em to stiffen em up so you dont tweak the body. t &amp; j performance (i think its them) sells chassis stiffeners that are supposed to really help stiffen the truck up. ive also heard that some bolt-in JeepSpeed cages work pretty well, i think barnett makes one.

oh, and they'll clear 33s with a $300 3" lift and some "slight" trimming /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif they make a real capable wheeler with just a few mods

if you get one, try and stay away from the D35 rear end. oh, and parts are real cheap for XJs/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

slight trimming? As in TJ fender flares? You know you shoulda never showed me that pic man. You need to bring that thing to uncc.

7. KRAZIE87K5

Pics? Did I hear pics? Lets see some pics of this Cherokee! I'd like to slap on some 33s, a set of lockers and 3-4" of lift. Add a little body armor, and a cage and hit the trails! What year is best for the cherokee? I've found a nice 97 around town with a 5spd for $2700. The 97 is still SFA right?

-Dan

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

chris, youre an [censored] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

i've heard that the 93-94 years are better, but im suddenly drawing a blank as to why, so ask someone who knows what theyre talkin about, haha. IIRC, it was just because the 93-94 were new enough that they didnt have the wiring problems of the earlier years and they still had the redix fuel injection system, but they dont have all the emissions crap. a 97 would by no means be a bad year, though. i kinda wish my jeep was newer so it might actually run (but then again, i probably wouldnt have gotten it for $450 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

yea, 97s are SFA, all cherokees are. $2700 is a good deal, is there anything wrong with it? i wish mine was 5spd sometimes.

http://community.webshots.com/user/thezentree

theres a few pics of my jeep there. what chris didnt tell you is exactly how ugly this thing is, so you might wanna make sure your kids dont see this, they'll have nightmares /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get a 6 cylinder TJ. Those things have amazing aftermarket and are surprisingly capable right out of the box. Just add lockers, a little lift, 33s, gears, and maybe a transfer case with better low range and you've got a nimble little vehicle that sometimes even my truck has trouble following.

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif We all told you that you couldn't give it up completely.

10. KRAZIE87K5

HOLY CRAP TIMMAY! 15000+ posts? Good gosh dangit boy! You need to find another girl friend! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

You're right though... I'm coming back. TJ... interesting...

-Dan

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

man you have to put up the pic w/ the tj flares on it.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Personally, I'd get a 'yota... I want either a p/u or a 4runner one day.
    They have good gas mileage, very strong runners, and look SICK when they have a few mods /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    HOLY CRAP TIMMAY! 15000+ posts? Good gosh dangit boy! You need to find another girl friend! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

What's wrong with the one I've got?

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

AH! she has a third hand /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    AH! she has a third hand /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No Steve, I cropped her sister out of the picture. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

uncrop her, and lets see! you've got a friend in IN who might could use a girlfriend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Dan, IIRC, you were one of the ones who left, and we told you that you'd be back. thatK30guy did the same thing, he's back now too isnt he?

Dan and Tim, i'll be visiting you both very soon. time to get my shitbox moving under its own power.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Think S-10 Blazer with 1 ton axles and a healthy 383 stroker. That might be intresting, and shouldn't cost a arm and a leg to build. It'd be able too get down the tighter trails also.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Anything with 1 ton axles costs an arm and a leg to build correctly. If he built an S10 Blazer like you describe it'd cost him more than his K5 did.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Anything with 1 ton axles costs an arm and a leg to build correctly. If he built an S10 Blazer like you describe it'd cost him more than his K5 did.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't see how it would cost more. As everyone knows, deals come along on everything. I've seen 1 ton axles go for cheap, always when I didn't have the money, or wasn't looking at the time, LOL. So how would a healthy 383 stroker cost more in a S-10 then in a K5 ??? S-10 Blazers a cheap to begin with. Shure 3/4 ton axles would be a heck of a lot cheaper, but depending on the type of wheeling and tire size, sometimes the 1 ton axles are the better choice in the long run. I can see it costing more IF you paid someone too do all the work on it, but if you do the mods yourself, cost shouldn't be that bad at all.

20. KRAZIE87K5

Yea, thats exactly what the problem is. I couldn't get the K5 to smog at first, which is what prompted me to take it off the road... well that and the bumpers were nearly 50" off the road! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif The next rig {RIGNBR2} will have to have a stocker motor so I can get past the freakin IL emissions (Just like CA emissions). I'm targeting 36" tires MAX. Nothing bigger, you're just asking for incredible breakage and expendature.

So its between an XJ, YJ, or a 4Runner... Hrmm... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif