Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

well hear we go im in for it...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Oct 11, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

just about done gutting my blazer out..just gatta take the two front seats out..and MAN o MAN...ive never seen anything like it. i just keep saying...i know i can i know i can..even though i cant weld, or know how to use a torch, and im 16. but this aint stoppin me..this was suppost to be my first truck, now its turned into my progect truck..and ill probobly go out and just buy another truck while im fixing this one! i cant let it go weve done so much on it now..this truck has literally been biult!!just about the whole floor needs replacing, and we are still trying to get that damn pos engine to run..this is taking for ever..im tired,.and hungry...an needed to get that of my chest sorry...lol

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It'll look a lot worse before it looks any better...just don't get overwhelmed by it. Do one thing at a time until it's all done.

Rene

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..thats what i keep saying to myself...its just kind of depressing...i dont get that much help with it at all..i dont know how to weld, or use any of this equipment..i need to take shop class badly but i dont hve the time for it at all between school, job, driving lessons soons...i got a torch that i need to use all the time but my dad never helps me out with it for some reason..pisses me of o well ill shut up now..

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

when you're done you will be happy.oh wait,it'll never be done.mines an ongoing project piece at a time and i dont think it will ever be done as long as i live.there's always something to upgrade.

5. tRustyK5

You shouldn't need a torch for any of the repairs anyways. You'll get much better results with an angle grinder and a sawzall. Just take your time and ask as many questions as it takes...a lot of us have been where you're at right now and can sympathize!!/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hell, I cut the entire rear half of my truck off and spliced a new rear tub onto it. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Rene

6. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Bry you are doing a great job. I understand fully how you are feeling as I am sure many other people here do. Even though its hard and you may think you will never get it done just dont give up. I am sure you will get it done and it will be great. You are going to have an awsome truck. Everyday is a learning experience and in the end you are going end up knowing a heck of a lot more then you did when you started. You have plenty of help here from some great people so don't feel like you are all alone.

Once your truck is done it is going to feel great. You will appreciate it all a lot more too becuase you are the one who made it what it is. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx mandy, thats the kind of encourgment that keeps me goin! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i think i can do it..but then there are those times im sitting in the truck, and i look around me and all i see are holes lol..but i have to keep going, your right about this sight there are a lot of great knowlodgable people hear..man if it wasnt for this sight i dunno what i would do!!

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wear could i buy a good sawzall? home depot or the like stores?...

9. tRustyK5

Home Depot or Lowes are a couple of good places to shop around. Tell them what you need it for and see what they recommend. Like any tool there is a crappy light duty model and then there is quality...the trick is to find an affordable medium. My buddy just bought a DeWalt, and it was fairly priced and decent enough quality it should last for a while.

Get a recommendation for the type of blades you'll need too...

Rene

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok cool thanx...how thick of steel is the floors? do you know..im going to probobly go to the scrap yard for some steel and was wondering what i should get...

11. tRustyK5

I think the floors are somewhere between 18 gage and 22 gage...

rene

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok thanx!

13. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ok cool thanx...how thick of steel is the floors?

[/ QUOTE ] if it's as bad as you say then the cutting should be easy.... 18 gauge with rust is nothing for a sawzall.

i really feel your pain. instead of redoing the cab, im just swapping the whole thing. wiring will be the biggest problem. after 78 gm used a plug in fuse. but my cab has all glass fuses /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    good luck...and take your time. prime it and paint it and never worry about it again

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx man..yea i plan on doing that! while the floor is out im going to paint every spot of the frame i can get to with out taking the whole body of , the whole undercarrage..then im going to paint the under side of the floors with por-15 to, along with the frame and drivetrain...then when the floors in ill probobly bed liner it , and then put some new carpet on..least with the bed liner i wont have to worry bout moisture as much i hope..this may take a while though..might wind up getting another ride while im doing it.. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif